Chapter 2: Just Have To Heal

While Jane's body slowly healed, her heart didn't. She still felt so heartbroken and shattered without her sister. Ella was everything to Jane, her rock, her bright star, her sunshine when everything went wrong. Now..the star and sun have vanished, leaving darkness and coldness. Guilt still racked her shattered, grief-stricken mind, despite Belle's reassurances. Other than her grief and guilt, there was a lot of trauma from her stepmother and stepsisters, physical and mental. With an aching heart, Belle realized that Ella was abused mentally while Jane was abused physically. Her tiny body littered with bruises and scars, from head to toe, took a while to heal, while some scars will last forever. Some were excruciatingly painful, Jane squeezing Belle's hand while she treated them. "Shh, shh, I know, I know..hold onto me, okay? Don't be afraid to squeeze my hand, shh, shh, almost over.." Belle would whisper, letting Jane squeeze her hand as tightly as she needed to. 

She didn't mind the slight pain in her hand, knowing what Jane had gone through in the past weeks. Jane was still severely skinny and underweight, the amount of starvation and little food that was given to both Jane and Ella made Belle's blood boil. The trauma, the nightmares, the injuries.. Belle wanted to curl up against Jane and use her body to shield her from the cruel world forever. A strong, protective instinct grew inside her during those weeks, turning sister-like and slightly maternal. She knew she had to take Jane away from the forest and manor, but for right now, her focus was on healing Jane, both physically and hopefully mentally. She also kept sharp objects and rope away from Jane so she wouldn't try to join Ella... Belle didn't know how she would forgive herself if Jane had killed herself. Every night, she prayed that Jane wouldn't end everything and join her sister in heaven. Every breath, every heartbeat, every scream after a nightmare, every cry of grief..it was a reassurance that Jane is still alive. 

"Please don't leave me.." Jane whispered one night, curled up against Belle. Belle tightened her grip, her lips brushing against Jane's hair. "I won't leave you, ever, I promise, Jane. Never, ever. Nothing in this world can take me away from you, okay? I'm here and I will always be here." She gently ran her hand through Jane's soft black hair. Jane shuddered and nuzzled her chest. Belle knew that Jane didn't believe her, after everything she went through. It broke her heart beyond repair. After learning about Ella's suicide.. she knew that Jane felt like she had no one left. Belle wanted, so badly, to prove that wrong...but she didn't know how. She just prayed that Jane would believe her and not end her life as well. "After you heal, I'm taking you to a new life, okay? That brings me to something I want to ask you..do you..want to change your name? It's up to you.." Belle asked it carefully, not knowing how Jane would react. She had a feeling that Jane would say no and she was right. 

"No..I don't want to change my name..it's the last thing I have of Ella..that..and her hair clip.." Jane's voice sounded so broken, so defeated... as though she had given up. Belle kissed her forehead and held her close, wrapping her arms around her tightly, as Jane hugged back. "Okay, I understand...just know that I'm here for you, okay? Always. After you heal, I'm taking you somewhere safe..somewhere, where the sun always shines and there is no sadness and no pain. People are kind and loving, the kingdom is beautiful..with different realms and seasons.. also, do you remember Aurora, Ariel, Mulan and Snow White? They're there as well..you'll get to see them. We're going to be there for you, I promise. If you ever, ever feel like ending it, though.. please talk to me, okay? Please, please..talk to me, okay? Don't hide it, talk to me, okay?" Jane nodded against Belle's chest and Belle felt relief. "It..it won't go away, will it? The pain of losing Ella?" Jane asked, her voice sounding so small and soft. Belle sighed, and rubbed Jane's back gently. 

"No, it won't..it won't ever go away, Jane. However, it does dull over time, and you learn to live with it, okay? It gets better over time but it won't go away. I will be there for you whenever it gets too much, okay? I promise.." Belle kissed Jane's head again as Jane cried into her chest. "Shh, shh, I promise.. I know how much you're hurting right now. Just promise me.. promise me that you will hold on, okay? Promise me.." Jane nodded, her crying lessening. "I..I promise, Belle..I promise..it just..hurts.." Her voice broke as she buried her face into her chest. "Shh, shh, I know, I know, I know how much it hurts..It hurts so bad.. but you're not alone in this, Jane.. You're not alone in this. I'm here and will always be here, no matter what. Just take your time and heal, okay? You just have to heal, that's all you have to do. I'll take care of the rest." Belle kissed Jane's head, wanting to take away the pain, although she was feeling it as well. "I..I'm sorry you lost her, Belle.." Jane whispered, her voice thick, soft and defeated. Belle smiled sadly, and rubbed the back of Jane's neck. "I'm so sorry, too, Jane..I'm so, so sorry.." The two of them stayed there together in the makeshift hideout, grieving together, broken hearts slowly mending over time. 

A new bond was formed that night, while no one can ever take the place of Ella in Jane's heart, she welcomed the bond formed with Belle. She needed someone.. and Belle was glad to be that someone, although she wished that Ella was still alive. While they're not related, grief can cross over and build bridges to two broken hearts and bring them together to heal. The trauma, mental anguish, grief and heartbreak will take a long time to heal, but Belle will always be there for Jane, no matter what. Belle made a promise to Ella, and she is intended on keeping it, no matter what. 

"I love you, Jane..I promise I will always protect you, and never, ever leave you.. I promise. You just have to heal..that's all you have to..just heal..I will be there for it all." 

"I love you, too, Belle.."