coping

i reach for my phone, but you haven't texted. am i surprised? no. not at all. we broke up two weeks ago, is this the no-contact phase? we never specifically said "no contact" but am i allowed to text you?

i go to his contact. i still have his name saved under the same thing i had it saved as when we were still together. "wes<3" should i change it?
i press on "message" and i start typing.
hi wes
no that's too casual, we just broke up.
hello wesley
ugh no. and even if i do text, if he answers what am i supposed to say? "i miss you can we please meet up?" no. wesley isn't the type of person to go back to somebody. when he's done, he's done. i put my phone down and i look at the time. 9:00 am. i woke up early, this is early for me and it's summer. i could go back to sleep and be numb, just like i had been doing for the past two weeks. but i decided i'm going to get up and do something to distract me. i go downstairs.

"hey mom." i say getting a frozen waffle out of the fridge and putting it in the toaster.
"cambi! you're up early, how are you feeling?"
i give her a "don't ask" look and she gets the hint, she smiles and rubs my back.
"it's ok hon. do something fun today, i have to go to work, and dad's bringing sam fishing at the verona's pond. i don't think you want to go but you are very welcome to." i smile. "thank you mom, i love you."
"i love you too." she kisses my forehead and grabs her purse and walks out the garage door.

the verona's are like the richest family in our town (hint the pond) and my parents somehow are they're best friends. not sure how that happened. they have three kids, meredith (MY BEST FRIEND) but she's at some summer camp in oregon, they aren't allowed to use their phones so she doesn't even know about me and wes. (i need to stop thinking about him don't i?" then there's mills' twin brother theo. he is annoying. very annoying. he thinks he's better than EVERYONE and i mean everyone. then there's they're 6 year old baby sister esme. esme is so
adorable i love her so so so much.
i figured i would go with my dad and sam, even though mer isnt home i can still hang out with esme.

i go into my dads office and i see him and sam getting their rods ready. "hey dad, can i come with you guys to the veronas?"
"sure kid, is meredith back?"
"no but i have nothing else going on, and mom told me i should get out the house."
"okay. you gonna fish?"
"umm," i look at their rods "no."
"you are so lame." sam says
"shut up." i walk out

i need to go get dressed. i can't show up in my pj shorts and a sweatshirt while mrs. verona looks like a literal princess. not that she would judge me, i just want to be presentable.

i pick out some jeans and a kind of dress shirt, but it isn't really. it's white and it has ruffles. i brush my hair and i braid it. i put on mascara and some blush, then i put on my white converse's. i walk back downstairs and i see sam and dad loading their stuff so i grab my phone and go in the car. i check my phone, still no text from wes. not that i was expecting one, i just kind of hoped he would check on me.

sam gets in the back seat and looks over my shoulder, he must've seen that i was staring at my phone screen blanking out. "um mom told me that you and wes broke up, she told me not to say anything so don't tell her that i am, but i'm sorry. i know you were like in love with him." i turn around and look at him. "thank you sam." for a 14-year-old freshman in high school, he is really sweet. most freshman boys have no feelings. at all. i am glad im a junior. dad gets in the car. "you guys ready?"
"mhm" i say
"yes sir." sam says
"ok lets go!"

the veronas don't live that far, but far enough to listen to all too well 10 minute version three times until we're there. so that's what i did. when we pull up, i don't see mrs or mr veronas car, only theo's. "hey dad where are mr and mrs verona?"
"oh they went on a crusie, they'll be back next week."
"is esme here?"
"she's at her grandmas."
you are joking.
we get out of the car and tho comes out to talk to my dad and sam. theo is tall, blonde and handsome. (what? he's my bestfriend's twin of course i think he's cute, SHE IS GORGEOUS) "hey cambri," he says waving at me as if we aren't 6 feet apart.
"hi" my dad and sam ride up to the ping on the gulf cart. i go up to mer's room, since i have nothing else to do. plus i miss her, being in her room is almost like being with her. i lay on her bed, that's made. the verona's have maids, so mer's room is never messy, i am SO jealous. i move down and sit on the floor, she has a really comfortable carpet. i check my
phone. no text. still, i wasn't expecting one. i just wanted to know he cared.

"hey." i look up and theo is walking in. he sit's on mer's bed.
"what are you doing?" i ask him
"nothing, i'm grounded. i can't leave and i have nobody to talk to."
"i love that i'm your last resort when you're bored and aren't your parents literally in a different country?"
"cambri you are not my last resort. and yes but they have trackers and cameras everywhere."
"oh yeah, i forgot."
(once mer got grounded and she snuck out to yo to a party with her little situation-ship talking stage and they nearly locked her up in the city jail)
"um i heard about you and wes," he says fidgeting with his feet, and sliding down the bed to sit on the floor next to me. "i'm sorry."
i look at him.
"theo has feelings? wow."
he laughs, "shut up cambri."
"there it is." i reply, laughing
"i am sorry though. i know how much you liked him."
"yeah it's whatever."

8 months ago
me and wes were sitting on mer's bed, while she was taking a shower, mer's mom is less strict about boyfriends coming over than my mom, so this is where the hangouts would happen.
"you are so cute cambri"
"what?" i laugh and i look at wes
"i said you are so cute." he pushes my hair out of my eyes.
"thank you," i say, holding his hand when he trues to take it away from my face so that he is cuffing my face in his hands.
"cambri.."
i lean in and so does he.
he rotates his face a little so that our faces fit perfectly into each other. he kisses me.
"do you want to be my girlfriend?"

—————-
"are you sure you're okay?" theo asks
"yeah. just a little sad."
"a little?" he asks
"yeah. you wouldn't understand, its not like you have ever really loved any of your little flings."
"ok not true." he replies
"mhm" i say
he stands up and clears his through.
"call me if you ever need anything cambri. i'm serious."
"ok."
——————-—
by the time my dad and sam were done, it was 7:00.
we left. theo said bye to them and he nodded at me. when we were in the car, sam asked.
"was theo acting weird just now?"
"i dont know sam, why would i know?"
he shurgs, i see from the mirror.

when i get home, i text theo.
"when are you ungrounded?"
it doesn't even take three seconds for him to reply.
"tomorrow."
i have a plan.