Infinite Season Ep. 3 Name that baby

Robin's POV...

After we found out we were having a girl, I told your grandpa in Canada, Robin Charles Scherbatsky Sr. He wasn't overly ecstatic about it. This was justified when I told him over the phone and he said "R.J, I was afraid this was going to happen. You are just like your mother, unable to bring forth a masculine product to carry on the Scherbatsky name.

"Dad, you do realize that even if the baby was a boy, he wouldn't carry on the Scherbatsky name" I replied.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Well, since I'm married to Barney, the baby's last name will be Stinson" I answered.

"Did you ever consider hyphenating your last name?" grandpa continued.

"You're not actually suggesting Baby Girl Scherbatsky-Stinson or Stinson-Scherbatsky because I think that's a quite a mouthful" I responded.

"Alright, I'll let you name your child whatever you want. But listen, R.J, I want you to give that little girl everything that I never gave you. If I could turn back time, I would do whatever I could to raise you in a way that didn't have you resent me for the rest of your life" grandpa said with the utmost sincerity I had ever heard in his voice.

"Thanks, daddy" I replied. Even though he couldn't see me at the moment, I think he could tell that I was smiling. The day your grandpa approved of me having a baby girl is one for the history books or at the very least the photo album that I know Aunt Lily will eventually put together.

~X~

Later that night we had dinner at Aunt Lily's and Uncle Marshall's. Aunt Lily and I were very close, even after all the kids were born. So it was almost as if we developed a telepathic connection. I could tell from the eager look in her eyes that she was dying to ask me if we had thought of any names yet. I told her to go for it.

"I made a list of names. But it was back when I thought we were having a boy" daddy revealed.

"Oh come on, it would still be great to hear" Aunt Lily insisted.

"Oh alright, I'll tell you even though I really don't see the point. If the baby was a boy, I would have wanted to name him Jacob Daniel Stinson" daddy announced.

"That's beautiful" Aunt Lily responded.

"What made you choose it?" Aunt Tracey asked.

Daddy revealed that his reason for choosing the name Jacob Daniel was because the baby's first name would have meant "to replace something" and he knew that his awesomeness was not being replaced, it was just being passed down. Daniel meant "judgment of God". He was hoping that even if the baby wasn't awesome, it would eventually be blessed with awesome; otherwise he would have to make a deal with the Big Guy.

"And he chose that name all by himself. I wasn't even there when he chose it. I was at work doing research about a baby panda born outside of the Central Park Zoo" I added; which was something I never thought I would say about your daddy.

"What about you, Robin? Since you won the bet, do you have any names picked out for your daughter?" Aunt Lily asked.

"I actually have a few picked out. When the work day is slow that's all I can think about" I answered. I then started to list out the names that I had picked out: Olivia, Emma, Aubree, Harper, Lucy, and Ava. I hadn't picked out a middle name to go with any of these.

"I don't think so" daddy responded matter-of-factly as my list concluded.

"Why not? Do you not remember who is putting a roof over our little girl's head right now?" I asked hotly.

"Calm down, sweet bird. I just think that none of those names are good enough for our princess. I want to give her a name that people immediately remember when they see her walk down the street" daddy assured me.

"Are you sure this isn't a discreet way of suggesting you name her after a stripper you once saw?" Uncle Marshall jokingly asked.

"I guess the only way to know for sure is to keep looking" I said.

"When you meet her, you'll know it. Trust us" Aunt Lily assured me as she placed a gentle hand on top of mine.

~X~

As my pregnancy progressed I was getting really moody and irritable; which I will admit to now. But if you asked me back then, I wouldn't have. The only thing that really soothed my mood swings was getting into bed with daddy and having him read a scene from William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet. One night I was having a really hard time falling asleep and I went to bed the only way I knew how.

"Barney, wake up" I said as I tapped his shoulder. I did this four more times until I decided on my last resort; which involved throwing a pillow at him.

"What happened? Where's the fire?" daddy asked as he jumped out, startled.

I asked him to read me an excerpt from the book. I didn't care which passage it was, but little did I know the passage he chose would lead us where we are today.

"But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun! 5 Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, Who is already sick and pale with grief, That thou her maid art far more fair than she: Be not her maid, since she is envious; Her vestal livery is but sick and green, 10 And none but fools do wear it; cast it off. It is my lady; O! it is my love: O! that she knew she were"

I went to bed comforted and satisfied by the sound of your daddy's voice as he read on. When I woke up I had an epiphany. Before daddy and I both left for work, I told him about the epiphany as we were heading out the door.

"I know her name" I said as I began to tear up, but tried to remain strong.

"What? Whose name? The girl that hit on me instead of getting to know Ted years ago? Is she back? I gotta make some calls. Love you, baby" daddy responded frantically.

"No" I laughed. "Our daughter, you moron. I know her name", I replied.  As I whispered the name in his ear, it flowed so well off my tongue that I knew it was the one.

"It's perfect" daddy smiled as he led me to the door way and we kissed before parting ways.