Chapter 1. Hatred

Sophie was a great person, she had a smile that could light up a room, her laugh was so contagious, and I just couldn't stop looking at her every time.

I just wish she didn't know

It was late August in Vancouver Canada, the morning air was brisk, but it made running that much easier for me. I got home just in time to listen to the news, they were covering my latest victim. She was a sweet girl from Montana, I was so pure and joyful, and I enjoyed every moment with her, she was the perfect victim. I need to slow down on killing, I have become too reckless on my last murder. I need to make sure this next one is perfect.

As Eric listens to the news and makes his breakfast he hears about a large job fair happening downtown. He was barely able to put the down payment on the apartment, he will need to find a job fast. He goes and takes a shower, letting the water wash over his body, and enjoying the warmth of it all. He finishes his shower gets dressed in his all-black suit and calls a taxi to get himself to the job fair. He gets out of the cab and looks up to admire the city, it has been a while since he was able to stop and look around. He walked into the expo center, which was packed full of vendors trying to gather new hires. Eric tried to find a job that would pay well and work with the degree he had. He went table to table trying to find any job that would work and then he saw her. A gorgeous, 5'6", brunette standing there, she had to be no older than 25 and in amazing shape. For the first time in a while, he was enthralled with her just by looking at her. He snapped back to reality and walked over to the table where she was standing.

"Hello, how are you doing today sir?" she said

"Oh, I'm doing alright, how are you doing?" he said

"I'm great, My name is Sophie and I am here with Gray Industries we are searching for social media managers, would you be interested?" She said with a half-hearted smile

"Yes, I need a position like that, what requirements do you have?" he said with a smile back

"All we would need from you is your resume and if you meet the requirements we will call you to schedule an interview time," she said with a soft smile.

"Sounds like fun" he muttered under his breath. "I'll be waiting for the call."

"Hope to see you at the office, I'm sorry, I never caught your name?"

" Eric, Eric Smith."

"Well, Eric, I will see you again," she said with a reluctant smile.

"See you again Mrs. Sophie." He said with an exaggerated smile.

A few hours had passed and Eric was only able to find a handful of job opportunities. He decided to take a cab back to his apartment, the dark room felt colder than normal like it was missing something. He turned on the lights and sat down on the couch, immediately he turned on the TV to the news to see the weather for tomorrow. Eric kept thinking about his interaction with Sophie, on the one side he hated her guts and how she always put on a fake smile, but on the other, he was enthralled with the idea of her. The idea of her kept him from focusing on the news. He fell asleep staring at the ceiling thinking about her.

Eric jolted awake in the middle of the night. He was covered in sweat and started hyperventilating. This feeling was something new to him, something strange, like was put into a trance. He finally snapped back to reality. He stood up from the couch, his feet felt heavy like they were submerged in concrete. He walked over to the kitchen, poured himself a shot of whisky and grabbed a bottle of coke. He immediately slammed the shot and the warmth rushed over him as he began to feel it go down his throat. A cough started to rise from the shot and he started to sip on the coke he grabbed. Eric then decided to go into his room and change, he looked around his closet. A box fell from his shelves as he reached for his slippers. Out fell a lot of pictures of all his victims, and he began to look at the photos. He started to smile as all the memories started to flood back to him. There was one photo marked "the first", he picked it up and immediately lost his smile and put all the pictures back into the box. He went back to the kitchen grabbed the bottle of whisky and headed to the shower. He turned on the water sat down and let the water pour on him. He continued to drink in the shower, getting closer and closer to breaking down in the shower. Eventually he passed out in the shower and stayed in there until the sun rose.