the beginning

Coriolanus' POV:

From a young age, Coriolanus had honed in on the skill of observation, a skill that no doubt aided in his survival during the times of war. His watchful eyes spared no one- Tigris, his teachers, strangers on the street- and most significantly, Cassiopia Rivers. Cassi fascinated him, the allure stemming partly from the unspoken crush he harbored for her, something he wouldn't allow himself to admit, and partly from the enigma she presented. On the surface, Cassi had completely embodied the idea of a wealthy capitol girl, concerned only with which dress she would wear next. Yet, Coriolanus had a suspicion that this wasn't the case. 

Coriolanus deemed Cassi lucky. She was lucky she still had her parents, lucky that they belonged to a profession that boasted financial security. Following the war Coriolanus had been left an orphan, being left in the care of his grandmother. However, being an orphan came with numerous financial hardships.

Over the year Coriolanus had recognized subtle shifts in Cassi's behavior that hinted at the scarcity the came with their post-war world. The rivalry between the two had begun in Secondary School, where Cassi had emerged as an even more formidable contender for the Plinth Prize. She became Coriolanus' competition not just in academics but within every aspect. What had started as a face for better grades evolved into a much larger competition- who the teachers liked more, who was more efficient with their work, who took harder classes. Initially, the competition had been fueled by Coriolanus' dire need for the Plinth Prize, but as time went on, they transformed into a sort of game for Coriolanus, a way for him to be around Cassi.

Coriolanus recognized the impact that he had on her, knowing precisely how to press her buttons. But, as the years went on, unbeknownst to him, the dynamics between the two had shifted. Cassi had an unspoken influence on Coriolanus. Her mood dictated his, her presence lingered in his thoughts, an undeniable, and yet, unacknowledged sign of his growing obsession. 

Coriolanus found it difficult to decipher the lines between the game he played and something deeper- a pull towards Cassi that he refused to let himself act on. Her happiness brightened his day, her distress cast a shadow on it, and yet, he maintained the facade of control, unaware of the ever growing force she had become in his life.