forever

// vanessa takes mike along for breakfast at sparky's after a shift :3 !! (aka mike being a good listener and half asleep the whole time)

"You know, Mike," Vanessa stops her car infront of him as he locks the gate. "What do you say? Breakfast?" She grins, asking the security guard, looking at him through the rolled down car window at the side of the driver's seat. Mike is still locking the gate, almost tangled up by the metal chains. "No thanks." He grunts as he finally finishes up. "I'll eat at home, thanks." He swings his backpack over his shoulder, geting ready to head home.

"My treat." She adds. "Don't worry. I'll also get Abby something-" She continues, making sure to remember his sister and she waits for an answer.

"Mhm, sure then. Can't turn down an offer." He responds.

"So uh, do I get into your car or mine?" She doesn't even notice that he's leaning at her car, staring directly at her and she finally gets a chance to observe him up a close.

A square jaw. Shaved stubble that he definitely keeps well. He has eyebags, which are reasonable, with the whole taking care of your sister and working a 6-hour nightshift. Dark brown eyes- shining under the sunrise and it dazzles her, and his dark unkempt curls, aswell.

She flinches, realizing that she had been staring for too long- "I'll drive you there- and drive you back here, of course, after we finish, you know- to your car." She grins, again.

"Great then." He answers in a monotone voice, yawning as he opens the door to the passenger seat, getting in. "Tired, huh?" Vanessa asks, hands on the steering wheel, staring at him with a hint of amusement as he barely manages to keep his eye open. "Uh huh." He nods.

It's silly how she's so interested in Mike. She smiles, seeing him on the brink of falling asleep. "Just sit tight then." She drives.

"You have to try the sandwiches here. They're the best thing, ever." She says, putting an emphasis on the last word as she pulls up to the diner. "I heard." Mike rubs his eyes. Vanessa had already parked the car.

Mike examines the diner and the sign from the car window. 'Sparky's'

It's relatively empty. Still 6 in the morning, after all.

They enter the place, greeted by the warm lights hanging from the ceiling and Vanessa leads him to the booth besides the big window and he feels exposed. "This is," She sits down, "My favorite spot." The sunlight starts to seep through the windows and it's a coincidence Mike sits across her, getting to see her as the sunrays hit her face perfectly.

God.

It must be something about the sun or the 3 hour sleep finally getting to him.

"Welcome to Sparky's!" The waiter exclaimed, putting the menus on the table, making him turn his head. "Oh hey, Vanessa!" He knows her?

"Hey, Ness." She does a little wave. "Haven't seen you here in a while, glad to see a familiar face." The waiter, Ness, says. Atleast what she called him. "I see you brought company." Ness quirked an eyebrow, smiling, turning to the man sitting across the cop.

She rolls her eyes, hands on the wooden table. "Ahem, he's just a friend from work. Got the pleasure of treating him to breakfast." Mike raises his head at the mention of friend.

"A sandwich, as usual. And a coffee for me, thanks. You, Mike?"

"Sandwich and uh," He carefully reads through the menu. "Orange juice." He leans back to the booth. "Alrighty, be back in a few minutes." He takes the menus from the table and walks behind the counter.

"You know him well?" Mike asks as soon as he's gone, feeling slightly awake now. "I'm a regular here." Vanessa responds, eyes darting off somewhere.

"Uh huh.." Mike is still paying attention to her blond hair and the loose strands of hair. She tied her hair into a ponytail, as always. "How's work holding up?" He questions as she rests her head on the table.

"Work is starting to pile up so I have to work overtime. Used to come here everyday after a shift, just don't have the time anymore." She sighs.

"Mhm. I could see you're working hard." He pays attention to her tired eyes. "Huh." She smiles, looking at his eyes. "You're attentive."

"I guess I am. Being a brother and all." He shrugs, hands moving unconsciously to tuck the strands of her hair behind her ear. She's still looking at him. He handles her with care and she wonders if he's always like this. His soft hands running through her hair and she wouldn't mind if they stay like this forever, basking in the sunlight.

Her complexion slightly flushed, seeing how calm he looks and she realizes that loves him. She loves him, how he listens, how he cares.

"Mike." His name comes out of her mouth like it's some kind of spell. She moves his hand to her cheek.

"Well, your order's here." Ness interrupts. Already standing there, their orders already set on the table. Mike snaps out of whatever he was thinking about, hands quickly moving away from her face and instead resting somewhere else.

"Thank you, Ness." She says, heavy on the Ness, only out of spite. "My pleasure." He grins and walks away. And Mike is about to drown in embarassment.

Fuck.

"Sorry. I didn't realize-" He explains, knowing damn well that isn't the truth. "Mike. I didn't mind." Her lips curl into a smile, but her chest feels heavy at the sudden awareness, she thought about him in that way, knowing she can't look at him in that light. She knows what she'll do to him, how he'll end up and what she's instructed to do but she can't dismiss her own feelings, can she?

She takes a bite of her sandwich, eyes looking out of the window and he takes a sip from his orange juice, eyes noticing the sudden shift in her expression. But he doesn't ask, afraid he's prying too much into her life.

And it's normal. They finish, Vanessa pays and he orders a cookie and a sandwich for Abby. It was Vanessa's choice, specifically.

He gets in her car, and she places the takeaway coffee on the cup holder. "Does Abby like cookies?" She asks, getting ready to drive, questioning her choice. "She does, yeah." Mike stares out of the car window. "Glad then."

"There's your car." Vanessa stops and unlocks her car, Mike quickly gets out, standing in the parking lot of the pizzeria, "Thanks for the breakfast." He says, adjusting the bag on his shoulder. "No problem at all."

"I'll see you tonight."

"Yeah." She waves at him, driving away without a clear direction.

Her heart aches. Just how long can she lie to him before he knows- And it's times like these where she loathes her dad.

She drives home, her father's home. She opens the door using the spare key, the lights were off and the house was empty. She ignores the family portrait on the living room table, the polaroid laying on the kitchen counter of her and her dad in a rabbit costume. She sets down the sandwich on the counter and leaves like nothing happened, slamming the door.