73

DIALOGUE

< MIYA'S CONDO — Bedroom,
11:54 PM >

The bed, the nightstand next to the bed, and her jacket when she unhooks it from the coat rack are all blurred. Miya recognizes that her blurred vision is caused by her tears.

Miya (whispers)
I just can't leave Chi alone . . . .

Miya slips on her jacket fast. Her thoughts is in disorientation as she picks up her phone off the bed. She considers calling Mafeh or Yuna to look after Chi while she goes out, but she doesn't want to trouble them at this late hour. Her sobs are uncontrollable due to the difficulty on her mind.

Despite her haste, she comes out of the bedroom and dials Mafeh's number while also putting on her shoes. She takes a deep breath and swallows. She doesn't like the idea of what her mind is going through, but she can't help it since it has been programmed to make such thoughts.

It doesn't help that the connection isn't working properly. Miya sobs even more, biting her lower lip to stop hiccups.

She dashes to the front door, clutching a spare key in one hand and a phone on her ear in the other.

Miya
Maf, please answer. Please. Please. Plea—

door opens

It's not Miya who opens it.

Aldrine
Mi?

Aldrine
Saan punta mo? Aalis ka?

Miya is exhaling heavily. Her heart is breaking, but everything stops when Aldrine appears on the door, perplexity in his eyes and a duplicate key in his hand.

Aldrine's here. Aldrine's safe and whole. Other than the drenched button-down shirt and damp hair, he's here and safe and whole. He has even managed to grip a box of cupcakes and a tub of ice cream with one hand.