Chapter: 8 The prison

"Hey, shut up."

A voice from a couple cells over coldly exclaimed"

Linettes scoffed, "you ought to watch your damned tongue, i'll cut it off myself if I have to"

Linette said back with no hesitation.

"We're gonna die anyway, who the hell do you think you are?!"

The voice yelled while banging on the cell door.

I am Linette Rosendway from the Rosendway duchy, as soon as I get out of here I will put you in your place, you impudent criminal!"

Linette yelled back with a great sense of pride.

The voice laughed, like they let go of all the anger they just had. "That crazy bastard Linette? I've heard of you, it was only a matter of time until you ended up here."

Linette sat up "I'll kill you as soon as I get out of here, just you wait, the crown prince will come for me." she angrily exclaimed. Linette couldn't see who this person was, or know who they were, but she felt a great sense of anger towards them.

"You'll be a fool blind with rage till the end. You're drowning in your own conceit."

The voice coldly said.

"What kind of nonsense are you daring to utter right now? I'll have you beheaded for saying such things to a daughter of the Rosendway duchy!"

Linette said with great annoyance.

The voice chuckled

"Don't you realize? Being down here in this prison only leads to one thing. Death."

Linette was filled with confusion and dread.

"I'm going to die and you will too. No ones coming to save you, once you are locked in this prison the only way out is when you finally get executed."

It was like a hole was ripped into Linette's stomach. Deep down she knew that the prisoner was not lying, she started to understand there was only one outcome to this situation.

...

After that not one word was exchanged between the two.

Linette sat there for what felt like ages in the silent dark jail cell. The smell of the rusted iron bars and dampness filling the air. The only way she could confirm if time had passed was when a guard would occasionally walk by and either put someone in a cell or take someone out of it.

At first the prideful Linette was angered that she would have to endure being held in the same place as filthy commoner criminals.

But after some reflection she eventually came to realize that no one regarded her as any better than scum. After so long she just didn't have the energy to be angry. She had started to fully understand that her death was most likely inevitable. being angered over sharing the same air as lawless peasants was something not even worth regarding.

After hours and hours, it was as if time had stopped existing, no thoughts were able to occupy her mind, everytime she blinked she could not tell if time had passed or not.

The sound of heels tapping on the cement ground grew louder before they finally stopped right in front of her. But, Linette had no desire to even consider who was behind those sounds, she stayed still just as she had been doing for what seemed to be the past millennia.

That was when a sweet voice whispered to her

"Linette."

The voice seemed so close to her, she got goosebumps.