A Witch's Fairytale

PS. I used as my inspiration the playlist of Fairytale and Nostalgia.

Playlist I

Mr. Perfectly Fine
Forever and Always
Today was a Fairytale
If it was a Movie
Jump Then Fall

|

Word count: 1,164

|

I never knew that there would come a time when I would dream my own fairytale the day I first saw him.

He was perfect, smart, and handsomely beautiful. Like a diamond over a sand of shards, he was the crowd's favorite and every classmate of ours worshiped him for being so talented and kind.

For sure, there was only one over a million that he would ever notice an ignored, forgotten cabinet in the attic like me. Therefore, my impossible dream of having a chance to talk to him shattered before I even started painting the 'what if' scenarios in my head.

Knowing that fairytales only happen in fiction stories, I contented myself by just admiring a prince from afar. The world just seemed to revolve around him and I felt like I was never in it, and I could never be.

He just never looked my way and I highly doubt if he was even aware of my existence.

Cliche it might sound, yet my heart shattered every single time he could be casual with everyone when he could never even shoot a glance at me.

To him like everybody else, I was invisible.

Maybe this was the price for being myself, just quiet and awkward. A kind of girl simply unattractive like the background color in a canvas. Unappreciated and unimportant to even deserve notice and recognition.

Maybe in his eyes, I was never a damsel in distress that needed saving. Maybe I wasn't even a damsel to him at all. But maybe, I was the witch of his exquisite world that should be shunned and exiled.

With all of these, he was 'Mr. Perfectly Fine' while I felt like a messed up piece of trash in my mind.

I could probably get over with all of these feelings in the background.

I might as well forget about him in due time and free my heart from the imprisonment of a heartbreak.

However, when I was ready to dump everything behind, he came around with a surprise attack.

There was a witch once, and that witch was caught off guard by the prince. For the first time, he was staring at her with those warm and mesmerizing eyes.

The kind of look I never thought he was capable of.

In just a few seconds, he conquered my world and I forgot how to breathe.

Wasn't I invisible? I was not so sure anymore.

As if every curtain on stage vanished in a glance, then all the lights from different angles redirected upon me, and I was exposed.

"Forever and always, I only had my eyes on you. Finally, you noticed."

He left me with those words just to get crazy.

Every inch of me seemed to have malfunctioned. And before I knew it, I was celebrating!

But not for long, when I learned that it was all for show. A dare from a game he lost with friends.

A trap.

Running away was my best solution from this overwhelming shame that starts to eat me alive.

I was outplayed by him. Big time.

Just face it.

There was never in a thousand fairytales where a prince and a witch became friends, let alone became lovers.

How I wished I could just disappear and dream in a place where I could never wake up again.

"Don't go, please." He grasped my arm and I got lost in his touch.

Standing before me now, was the person who I never imagined to be this close.

"I'm sorry," was all he could utter after recognizing the pain in my tears.

It didn't make sense to me at all!

"Why are you sorry? It's all my fault! I shouldn't exp-"

"No." He held my hands and pulled me into his embrace.

What was happening? Why was there magic I felt in the air?

"I mean every word I said. The dare was just my stupid excuse so I could gather the courage to confess to you. Because every single time you're around, my tongue tied and I feared I'd die just seeing your eyes looking at mine."

His voice echoed against my chest, contemplating the only music playing in our beating hearts. And it sang, "Today was a fairytale."

At this very moment, could this actually be my kind of fairytale? 

But not all fairytales end with happy endings.

Everything worked perfectly just fine.

I had him. He had me. We had us.

Until an unexpected calamity arrived and we were challenged to the core of our lives.

It was then I realized, people change and feelings disappear. Unfortunately, my ignorant heart wasn't yet prepared for any of it.

Like a collapsed building of rubble, I was devastated when he was gone. He left me hanging on the other side of the thread, yet here I stayed still waiting for him to come back.

If this was a movie, maybe there could be another chance for us.

But this was reality. And the more I held on, the more it would only kill me.

Letting go was never an easy decision.

But seeing him happy with her a thousand times more than he have been with me, then I guessed it was finally time to close the book of our story.

Maybe it was all meant to end this way. Without a proper goodbye. Without a proper ending.

With that heartbreak, I started picking up the broken pieces of my heart and putting them all back together.

It was then I understood what was really missing in my life.

And that something could never be sought from another broken soul.

It was the love for myself and embracing everything about me.

I was the witch of my fairytale, and who cares? I love me, and nothing else matters.

But when I thought Cupid had already forgotten about me, I was wrong.

This time, unlike last time, it was love itself that searched for me.

Long ago, I dreamed of a fairytale where I begged for a prince to look at me and love me for who I am.

It never crossed my mind that someday, someone out there from a vast universe would come and risk everything just to see me smile and be with me.

I didn't need saving, but he was always there to rescue me.

I didn't need someone to walk with me in the dark, but he would come and light my way.

I didn't have to change anything, because he loved every inch of my flaws.

He didn't know how to use flowery words. But his honesty was enough to bring my heart into bliss.

Before I knew it, I was already jumping then falling into him when I thought I already lost my passion to love another.

Now, I'm confident to say that this could really be my kind of fairytale.

Not with a prince, but with someone who knew how to treat me, a witch, like a princess.

|