Preparations

They were to leave in five days. It was so sudden that Maomao had to rush to prepare. She had to do the shopping, and there were quite a few people she needed to talk to.

Maybe I shouldn't go around telling everyone I'm going out of town, she thought, but a communication had already gone out, so evidently it was okay. I definitely have to tell the old madam. She didn't want to be greeted by another punch in the stomach when she got home.

So it was that she went to the Verdigris House, where the madam said, "Huh. That so? In that case, I want some ambergris as a souvenir."

Yeah, that's not happening.

The name of the substance, in Maomao's language, meant "dragon's saliva incense," and it was indeed said to be made from a dragon's drool, although that was not, evidently, where it really came from. It was very expensive, and also had medicinal functions; it was effective for the heart.

"What do you mean, you're leaving again?! This is ridiculous! I've never heard of a court lady going so far from the court so often!"

This anguished objection came from the apprentice apothecary, Sazen. There were even tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry. You'll just have to manage somehow. You have Kokuyou, and you can always get in touch with my father if anything comes up." Maomao handed him a signed sheet of paper, and that was it. A customer had arrived at the apothecary shop, so Sazen trudged back to help them.

I think he's more of an apothecary than he gives himself credit for, Maomao thought. He was certainly a chronic worrier—maybe it caused him to think less of himself than he deserved.

"Goodness gracious. You'd better be careful. They say the sun in the west can give you an awful tan." Such was the admonishment of Maomao's older sister at the Verdigris House, Pairin, whose skin had a particularly healthy glow today.

Had a good customer last night? Maomao thought. Her sister's sexual appetites went far beyond the ordinary, so for her, a "good" customer was more than just one with a lot of cash. No doubt he'd been a well-built specimen of a man.

"Here. You'll be needing this for sure. Put it on every morning, then wash your face to take it off before you go to bed." Meimei placed a ceramic vessel in Maomao's hand. Presumably it contained some sort of cream that would be good for the skin.

"I'm not sure I'm always going to get the chance to wash my face," Maomao said. The western capital was a long way off, and whether they went by land or by sea, water would be precious.

"They're going to take our little Maomao somewhere like that? What idiot made that decision?" demanded Joka.

Funny you should ask. You might know him as a certain masked noble...

That accounted for all three of the Verdigris House's famous princesses.

"Oohh, I'm worried about you! Is it too late for you to back out, Maomao?" Pairin said, hugging her close. She really had been busy the night before—the warmth was still radiating off her.

"Just think about it. The money we work ourselves to the bone to earn, the nobles are pissing away on a vacation," Joka spat.

"Not at all! Those nobles help our business thrive. We'll just have to wring them for all they're worth—make sure the cycle continues," Meimei said, her laughter clear and loud, in pointed contrast to the vulgarity of what she was actually saying. Then she gazed out the window. "I admit, I'm as worried as any of you... But I think there's someone along who will be ruthless if anyone dares to lay a finger on Maomao."