Skin Soup

"Hey... Excuse me. Miss! I'm talking to you," said a greasy, heavy-set man.

Katie rolled her eyes as she walked past the booth, then she took a breath, forced a smile, and turned around. "Yes, what can I do for you this time?"

"I'm sorry, but this chicken noodle soup is just unacceptable. It's not hot enough, and it tastes like the cheap stuff you buy at the value market. I thought this was supposed to be homemade?"

"It is, Sir."

"Well, can you have the cook try again? Surely he can do better than whatever this is."

"Sure thing. We'll get another bowl out to you as soon as possible."

"Tell them not to use as much salt. My dog wouldn't even eat this."

Katie grabbed the bowl and walked back to the kitchen.

"I hate to do this to you, Johnny, but the guy says he wants another bowl of soup. He says this one is too salty, or not hot enough, it doesn't taste right... something like that."

"What? This will be the third one!" Johnny threw his arms up in the air, frustrated and tired. He was a skinny, middle-aged man with a quick temper. He was also the owner of the struggling diner.

"You and I both know there is nothing wrong with that soup. Everyone loves my soup. I swear, some people make it their mission in life to be jerks."

"I've been serving this guy for over an hour. Can you give it one more try? I really need the tip money... even though I doubt this guy is much of a tipper."

Katie was a college student who needed every dollar she could make. She was pretty, but always looked a little run-down from being overworked, studying too much, and not getting enough sleep.

"Yeah, I'll give him one more... Guy thinks he can come in here and insult my food. It's almost closing time; I'm tired and ready to go home. Here you go, Mr. Food Critic..." Johnny poured another bowl of broth and noodles and then added some different spices and some vegetables. It smelled and looked fantastic.

"And one more ingredient..." Johnny peeled a large sliver of dry, dead skin off his nose and dropped it into the soup.

"You're not seriously going to serve that, right?"

"I certainly am. I'm the boss, and I'm not making another bowl. The guy deserves it. He's one of those people who thinks servers and cooks are just slaves that can be ordered around."

Katie looked at the soup for a good ten seconds, trying to decide what to do.

"Fine... just because I'm ready to go home."

Katie walked out to the front of the diner, where the man was waiting. He was the only customer left in the place.

"Finally! Took you long enough."

Katie bit her lip, fighting back the urge to say something in response.

The man grabbed a spoon with his pudgy fingers, holding it like a caveman, and then slurped up some soup in a disgustingly loud fashion. By the way he was devouring it, Katie could tell he was finally satisfied.