Part 1 - The Mentor Chapter 1 - Diminishing Hope

Coriolanus's POV

The previously warm water was turning ice cold by the minute, but I made no move to get out of the shower. Instead, I tilt my head back into the frigid stream and feel my curls plaster to my face. My mind was racing a mile a minute at the thought of what this day could bring.

Today was Reaping Day in the districts, but we didn't celebrate in the Capital. Although, this year was different for the Snow family, because I would be mentoring one of the unlucky tributes, along with twenty-three of my other classmates. All I should be thinking about right now is how to put on the best performance in order to win scholarships to attend the university, but I cannot.

My brain is too focused on one of the other twenty-three students that I would be seeing today- Sejanus Plinth. I smile at the thought of this boy. With his beautiful chocolate brown curls and endearing brown eyes, I could not think of a person I wished to be with more. This is why I have decided that today will finally be the day that I tell Sejanus how I feel about him.

Of course, if he doesn't feel the same way I will have to hide my face in shame. I would never be able to show my face in public again. It would be absolutely humiliating. But our glances at each other during class and hidden smile had to mean something, didn't they?

When the water finally gets to a completely unbearable temperature, I cast the images of the curly haired boy out of my mind. Hopefully he will like me as much as I like him, but I truly don't have time to keep dwelling on this matter. First I need to worry about finding a shirt to wear to the screening of the reapings.

The Snow family used to be one of the most glorious families in Panem, but after the war we lost every cent that we had. Tigris and I had kept a little money in the house by trading furniture and other valuable objects, but we no longer had anything to trade. This is why I still don't have an acceptable shirt to wear to the reaping screenings.

When the Academy issued a dress code for the screenings, I panicked a bit inside. I managed to find an acceptable pair of dress pants that had belonged to my father and an old pair of shoes that could pass. I had also found an old dress shirt of my fathers that was stained in many places and turned a putrid shade of yellow. When I showed Grandma'am the shirt, she shrieked in horror. Thankfully, Tigris had stepped in to my rescue and went to try to mend the shirt.

Speaking of Tigris, where on earth could she be? I stumble out of the bathroom to the old fridge to hunt down some food while I wait for her. There was a strange metal pot that entices me enough to open the lid, but I quickly change my mind after seeing the weird potatoes inside. I'm able to choke down a couple spoonfuls of our awful cabbage stew before Tigris bursts through the front door.

"Oh Coryo," she cries, racing straight towards me. "I really think I did it. I mean, it's not beautiful but you can definitely work with it." I can't see the shirt in question, but she set the dressbag down on the table.

I trusted Tigris with my whole heart, so I knew if she said I could work with it, then I really was saved. Tigris beams as I unzip the bag and pull out her new creation. She really had done it. She's taken this hideous shirt and made it into something gorgeous and classy. She had managed to dye the shirt a smooth looking cream color instead of the putrid yellow color it had become. She also got her hands on some black velvet, as she had used it to replace the old collar and cuffs. But I think the best part was the buttons, made out of beautiful tesserae. "You're brilliant," I say, grinning as I see her eyes light up. "And the best cousin ever." I carefully put the shirt out of harm's way and let her embrace me with a tight but comforting hug. "Snow lands on top!" I whisper.

"Snow lands on top!" She shouts, clapping her hands together a few times. "Now go try it on, Coryo! I want to see how gorgeous it will look on you."

I grab the shirt and head into the bathroom to try on the shirt while Tigris tells me all the details of creating the new masterpiece. I pull on the dress pants and the shoes that are too small, before carefully pulling on the shirt and tucking in the tails. The cream color of the shirt blends in with my snow white curls wonderfully. Tigris is right as always, I have definitely pulled this off. I wonder if Sejanus would like it.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Nov 27, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Darling, We Were Born to Dieजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें