2. Temptation

"--and that's when I realized his hand was naked."

"You didn't say anything?"

"No! He was leaving. Besides, I didn't want to be nosey. He was helping demolish a building, so it's only logical he took it off, so it wouldn't get lost."

"Oh, there is that." Stacey shook her head.

"I just feel so dumb now."

"Dumb how? Like you should have asked about it or you just now realized he might not have been wearing it the entire time he's been renovating your house?"

"Both?" I kicked at the sand. "What if you're right? What if he really is single and he's tricking me into believing he isn't?"

"Girl, you didn't believe me earlier, did you?"

"...Maybe."

Stacey barked out a harsh laugh. I wanted to dig a hole and crawl into it. "Do not believe everything that comes out of my mouth. There isn't a single man around for miles. Even the college boys are taken."

"How would you know that?"

"...I'm probably the biggest homewrecker in the city." She hooked her arm through mine. "Him being single is probably the most far-fetched scenario I've ever thought of. You might as well be dreaming."

"I don't want to end up like my parents."

"What's wrong with your parents?"

"They met online. Ana met her husband online and Drake met his fiancée online. LeAnn got away, but now everyone is looking to me to marry some hotshot off the Internet." I watched the people walking along the shore. "The last thing I want to do is download Tinder and match with a rapist."

"...You're not gonna match with a rapist." Stacey poked me in my side.

"You almost got kidnapped the last time you matched with anyone. I learn from other people's mistakes. Thank you for making that one."

"Meeting your future someone online is all the rage these days. If you've exhausted all other options in getting a man, Tinder is a woman's best friend."

"...Not really."

"Sebastian has been working on your house for a while. If he doesn't have any feelings for you when you finally pounce on him, Tinder is waiting."

"I hate you so much."

"No, you don't."

"You're right. I despise the way you think."

Stacey laughed and we looked up at the sky. The moon was shining brightly, with the stars twinkling around it. It made me wish I was a hot ball of gas. They didn't have to worry about finding someone to be with in the future. They didn't have to worry about being lonely. They didn't have any thoughts.

"Look...I'm not saying you should try online dating at all, but if you can't find anyone in this city to marry you...you might as well give it a shot. Or you'll be moving around forever."

"Mmm. Maybe I'll let the guy come to me. I've been searching for way too long. I need to give the guys a chance to find me interesting."

"That's the spirit! Next week, we're gonna party like there's no tomorrow and find hot, college guys to hook up with."

"Just you, Stacey, just you."

💠💠💠💠💠💠

"Thank you, sir. I'll make sure to email it all to you as soon as I get home." I nodded at my boss and left his office.