Chapter 2

Come out, I'm sure it's not that bad." Lorelei prompted, leaning against the couch. She had managed to make Ollie try on the outfit, though there was much protesting.

"I hate this." Ophelia pulled her bedroom door open and marched over to the living room. Her dress was a dark maroon, it was strapless, and had a corset top that tied in the back.

"You look lovely!" Lorelei smiled, "But the top is too loose." She spun Ollie around undoing the poorly tied bow and pulling the ribbon tighter. "Stop moving."

Ollie grunted, "That's tight enough."
"No, it's not." Lorelei tugged on the black lace one last time before tying it off neatly. "There." She released Ollie and stood back as the younger girl quickly backed away, not wanting any more of her movement to become restricted.
"I can't breathe in this thing. How am I supposed to do anything if I can't breathe?"
"You don't necessarily need oxygen."
"See, the thing about living, you need to be able to breathe in order to do it, plus I can barely even talk."
Lorelei crossed her arms, "Good, because I'll be doing all the talking... mostly."
"But I have to fight Lord Rutherfurd. Right now if I even try to kick someone, this dress will break."
"Lord... Rutherfurd...?"
"The guy who has my locket, he's holding the gala."
Lorelei grabbed her coat, "Well we better hope there's no fighting then." She walked over to the door, "Let's go."
Ollie frowned, "I need shoes."
"They are by the door." Lorelei made a vague gesture as she walked outside leaving Ollie to stare at the black heels that sat beside her boots.
"Do I have to?" Ollie complained.
"Yes." the other girl responded sternly. Ollie groaned but put on the shoes, then followed Lorelei out the wooden door.
"Why am I even trusting you?" She mumbled to herself.

Ophelia untied Willow from her post, the girls decided to take the horse instead of walking to the masquerade. Ollie hoisted herself onto the black animal and held out a hand to help Lorelei up.
"Are you sure this thing is safe?"
Ollie gave her a quizzical look, "Why?"

Lorelei shook her head, "I really don't like horses."
Ophelia frowned, "Well we don't exactly have cars anymore, because of a lack of gasoline."
"I know." Lorelei stared at the horse, contemplating her choices before slowly taking Ollie's hand. "If I fall off I will never get back on this thing again."
"If you fall off it will be your fault, Willow is a very good horse." Ollie prodded Willow with her heels and the horse started up a slow walk.

"Oh my God." Lorelei grabbed onto Ollie's waist, latching herself onto the younger girl.
Ophelia shook her head as they rounded a street corner, "It's not that bad." she said, flicking the reins. Willow began to move at a quick trot.
"Slow down!" Lorelei gasped, clutching even tighter.

"If we want to get there anytime in the next year we need to go faster."
"Not this fast!"
Ollie rolled her eyes, "Look at that– we're already here."
Lorelei practically fell off the horse in her haste to be on solid ground, "That was horrible."
"You're just being dramatic."
"I know." Lorelei brushed off her dress as Ollie tied Willow to a fence post.
"Okay." Ollie patted Willow's snout, "What's the plan?"
Lorelei began to make her way toward the large boat that would take them to the island where the mansion stood.
"If I tell you it will ruin the plan."
Ollie ran after her, "You do have a plan... right?"
"Nope."

Ollie and Lorelei snuck their way onto the boat, it had little compartments they could sit in. The two girls found an empty compartment and sat down, their previous conversation continued.
"What do you mean 'no'?" Ollie asked as they stepped onto the train.

Lorelei plopped down in a seat, turning to look at Ollie, "What do you think it means?"
The sound of an intercom buzzing filled the air, "The boat is now departing, please stand away from the edge." An usher pulled the door closed and there was a slight motion as the boat left the dock, cruising towards the manor.

"I don't know." Ollie took a seat next to Lorelei.
Lorelei frowned, "Your grasp of the English language concerns me."
Ollie did not respond.
A few minutes later a man dressed in a red coat and hat made his way down the train, "Invitation please."
Lorelei looked up, "I'll say I forgot mine. He can't kick us off halfway to the island."

Ollie shook her head, "I've heard about what they do to people who don't have an invitation– it ranges from being kicked off the boat to torcher."
"Well," Lorelei glared at her, "that information would have been nice to know twenty minutes ago."
"Sorry." Ophelia grunted.
The man made his way closer until there was only one group between him and the girls.
Lorelei grabbed Ollie's hand, "Kiss me."
"Excuse me?"
"Public displays of affection make people uncomfortable. Kiss me." Before Ollie could protest Lorelei leaned forward, firmly placing a hand on her neck in order to prevent her from moving and kissed her on the lips.

Ollie –though thoroughly confused– kissed her back, putting her hands on Lorelei's waist. She had no idea how this could possibly work, but, when the usher asked for their invitations and got no response or a break in the snogging he awkwardly shuffled away.
Lorelei pulled away, casually going back to looking out the window. Leaving Ollie to contemplate what had just happened.