Episode 7 -- Part 2

I waited outside anxiously for either Jet, Maddie, or Madison to show up. I may or may not have allowed myself to run free with all the different outcomes of what was going on. So far, I had three possibilities.

One: Jet or Madison or both are upset. I have to come up with a way to remove myself from the situation. I'm very bad at making people feel better unless "people" is Maddox.

Two: Maddox is upset. Then, I have to figure out who I need to beat up and how to make her feel better.

Three: Jet, Madison, and Maddox are upset, meaning plans one and two need to happen at the same time.

When Jet and Madison left around the same time, both with minimal tears on their faces, I was ecstatic. That meant that at most I'd have to deal with scenario two. "Jet," I whispered as he walked out of the bunk. "What's the situation?" He frowned.

"I-I was trying to make it better. But I think I just made it worse." He left quickly after that.

When Madison came out, I tried to get some more information out of her, but when I succeeded, I regretted trying almost instantly. "Yeah, I think Maddie and I are on track to going back to what we were before. Or... close to it, at least." I hid my frown until Madison's back was turned to me. No, I didn't want them to go back to how they were before. How they were before means I have no best friend, and I get to be very sad. Yeah, two years ago was a lot of fun.

I walked into the bunk and saw Maddie there, just kind of staring aimlessly. "So... anything of note happen?" She scoffed.

"Well, I was just reunited with my ex-girlfriend, so that's something. I think she wants to be friends again, but... I don't know if I want that. Actually, I don't even know what I want," she said. "And I gotta find Jet later and apologize. This time, I was the one that screwed up." I nodded. She looked up at me.

"Well, was it nice having Madison here at least?" I asked. She shrugged.

"It... I thought when I saw her again, I'd be over the moon. But... somehow, now, I don't... depend on her anymore. Like, I can survive without her. Does that make sense?" I nodded.

"Yeah. Yeah, it does."

Suddenly, she gasped. "What?" I asked, frowning. "Is something wrong?"

"Zoe, you have less than an hour until the dance!" she exclaimed.

"Okay, and?"

"You're not even dressed yet! What have you been doing this whole time?"

"Watching everyone else get ready. Duh!" She rolled her eyes, unimpressed. "What? I have a full like, forty-five minutes before I need to get ready."

"Zoe."

"Yes, Maddie?"

"Go. Get. Ready. Now."

"But Maddie," I whined.

"Now, Caswell."

I groaned. "Yes, ma'am."

After spending five minutes throwing on the pantsuit I wanted to wear and carelessly finger-combing through my hair, I stood in front of Maddie. Lifting my arms up in a mocking manner, I said, "Ta-da," and sat back down.

"Awww, are you upset because I made you get ready more than ten minutes before?" Maddie cooed, mocking me. I just glared up at her.

"Yes. Yes, I am."

"I'm sorry," she said.

"No, you're not." She shrugged.

"Now give me a twirl!" I reluctantly stood up, and spun in a circle. She clapped her hands together like a little kid. I fell back on the bed and rolled over. "Okay, what's up with you?" Maddie asked. I looked over at her.