031. not fine

Janie and Liam are sitting in a room at the ranger's HQ, waiting for Cordell.

"Hey." Cordell claps his hand on his brother's shoulder making him flinch. "Julia's wrapping up. We should head home."

"They should've taken us to the hospital." Liam says making Cordell sigh.

"Liam, the EMTs cleared us."

"Well, at least a 24 hour hold. MRIs. What if there's internal bleeding? A-and-- and if it-it-- it's internal so that, you know, we can't see it."

"Internal. Right. That... you mentioned. Uh, hey, Cassie said mama's making roast."

"It's 2 in the morning."

"As good a time as any." Cordell says, chuckling. "I haven't eaten in days. Have either of you?"

Janie shakes her head a little.

"No." Liam says. "Haven't slept either. Every time I close my eyes..."

"Okay, we-- we... we don't need to do any of that." Cordell says.

"Do what?" Liam asks.

"Compare notes... about our time in... in there. Liam..." Cordell sighs and sits across from his brother. "Listen. Arrests are being made all over the state. Whoever they are, they're falling. The threat is over. You're safe, okay? Janie's safe. I'm safe, so let's not..."

"Compare notes?" Liam sneers. "Cordell, we need to talk about this."

"We don't." Cordell argues. "I promise." He says as Cassie walks in. "You'll-- you'll see, in time, it's better this way."

"So I get groomed for six months, and that-- that needs therapy. But getting kidnapped and tortured doesn't." Janie remarks. "Got it." She mumbles.

"Hey." Cordell greets Cassie.

"Hey." Cassie replies, awkwardly looking between the three. "You three ready to go home?"

"Are we ever." Cordell says, getting up, following Cassie out of the room.

"Guess I don't need a new therapist whatsoever, then." Janie mumbles, rolling her eyes. She gets up, wincing at her broken ribs.

She waits for Liam, the man getting up and slowly walking to the door. Janie holds an arm out and Liam wraps his arm around her shoulders, gently squeezing.

+++

Cassie pulls up to Cordell and the kids' house, Geri walking down from the porch. Cassie turns the car off, Liam being the first one out.

"Hey." Geri greets. "I'm so glad you guys are okay." She hugs Liam. He pulls away after a moment. "Hey, sweetie." She greets Janie, pulling the blonde into a tight hug.

"Hey." Cordell greets.

"Hey." Geri sighs, the two hugging. They pull away after a few moments. "Abby is never letting any of you leave home again." Cordell chuckles.

"Yeah, because this place is so safe." Liam remarks.

"He's not wrong. Dad did literally get kidnapped on his run on our land." Janie huffs.

"Um, everybody's up at the ranch house." Geri informs.

"OH, we'll start heading up there." Cassie says.

"Yeah." Cordell says, the three starting to leave.

Cassie holds an arm out to Janie in question, the girl accepting her help.

They get to the house and Janie detaches herself from Cassie as Liam opens the door. They walk in, footsteps immediately sounding from the kitchen.

Abilene beelines to her son, pulling him into a tight hug. Janie grunts when Stella crashes into her, the redhead tightly holding onto her.