03- the catalina sisters

Margo Catalina

Margo Catalina

chapter three-
the catalina sisters

The morning birds awake me. Signaling the start of a new day. What a bummer. My bones are aching and tired and my brain still feels hazy from the booze. Maybe it was placebo, but either way I didn't feel okay.

My mind didn't want to sleep. I was anxious all night, tossing and turning. I didn't know what for, I wasn't the shy type, usually, but i'd never experienced anything like this.

Deep down I knew it was the change that scared me. Not those mean girls, not the new school or town. I just missed Arizona.

Mama always told me I was a fixer, what if my new life was too dicked up even for even me to fix?

"Shoulda known you'd be up, early bird." My mom says in a cheery voice, only she could have this early, peeking her head through my door, brown hair gorgeously framing her beautiful face.

She's dressed in all black for the gym and she looks great, but it's not often that she doesn't.

She sips her black cup of coffee, opening my door wider, staining the rim of her mug red, as she sips.

The recoil from the door, causes some of the coffee from her mug to splash out, as boxes tumble.

"Ugh, mija!" she says with frustration, throwing her hands up, gesturing the room. Shaking the coffee from her hands.

"I want this packed away by tonight, come straight home after school, I'll help."

I sit up, finally with a groan. There was no more time for sleep now.

"Ma," I say rising from the bed. "Don't cry over spilled coffee." She rolls her eyes, but doubles over laughing, splattering even more coffee on the floor.

"Aye!" she clasps a hand over her mouth, holding back giggles. I take the mug from her, stealing a sip.

"I want this cleaned up by tonight," I say, gesturing to the coffee puddle.

Seeing her laugh again, was enough to soothe my anxieties, everything was okay now, everything would continue to be.

Ma cooks us eggs and avocado toast while we get ready, she agreed to take us to school for our first day which was a relief.

Something about standing on the curb for the bus as a senior made me want to cry a little.

On my seventeenth birthday I was supposed to be gifted a car, but it was totaled by my father, or that's what he said.