Camping Trip (X-23)

(A/n: All characters in this and future chapters are over the age of 18)

Lying on the cold, snow-covered ground, Y/n gasped for breath, squinting under the glaring sun. His X-Men uniform was in tatters, the left sleeve completely blown away, and the chest area ripped. Y/n had been part of an X-Men team on a crucial mission, which unexpectedly led them to an AIM facility, where they encountered a sentinel. How lucky. Although they succeeded in taking it down and accomplishing their mission, the battle was far from easy.

As Y/n lay there, a shadow suddenly fell across him. Opening his eyes, he saw Laura standing above. Initially, Y/n and Laura had mixed like water and oil, but over time, their relationship had transformed. Y/n now considered Laura not just a comrade but one of his closest and most trusted friends, someone they deeply valued beyond measure.

"The faster you get up the faster we can go home." Laura remarked. Y/n observed her, noting her own suit was heavily damaged, marred with scorch marks, tears, and holes, though her skin seemed to remain pristine. While Y/n's body bore hardened or clotted blood from his injuries. Y/n's mutant power was blood manipulation, granting him some regenerative abilities, though not as potent as Laura's or Logan's. This limitation frustrated Y/n more than he cared to admit, especially since the cold was hindering his healing process even further.

Y/n grumbled, extending his hand towards Laura. She responded with a smirk, helping him to his feet and providing support as they made their way towards the Blackbird.

"Are you healing okay?" Laura inquired.

Y/n scoffed in response. "Not really. This cold is kicking my ass. I might need to ask Hank about integrating a heater into my suit."

"For now, let's just focus on getting you warmed up," Laura suggested.

"Yeah, sure," Y/n replied. As they neared the Blackbird, he paused. "Hey, what do you think about going on a camping trip?"

Laura snorted with amusement. "Camping? Really?"

"Hey, I'm serious," Y/n protested.

"I'm not laughing at you. It's just... I didn't peg you as the camping type," she explained, her laughter subsiding.

"Well, I'm not, usually. I just thought... maybe it's something you'd enjoy," Y/n admitted, a bit sheepishly, avoiding her gaze. Laura's lips curved into a knowing smirk as she observed his reaction.

"Sure, why not," she agreed.

. . .

Upon returning to the mansion, Y/n and Laura promptly informed Professor Xavier about their impromptu camping plan and immediately set off. Y/n slid into the driver's seat of his DeLorean, a car that might have labeled him a nerd in some circles, but he cherished it deeply. It wasn't just his dream car; it was also the last gift from his father before he passed away.

Their journey to the campsite was marked by a gently setting sun, casting a serene glow over the drive. The trip took around an hour, but the time seemed to pass quickly as they engaged in lively conversation. Eventually, they arrived at the campsite, encircled by trees that cast playful shadows around them, with the sun still managing to sprinkle light through the leaves. After selecting an ideal spot, Y/n started unloading the camping gear. Laura stepped forward to assist, but Y/n halted her.

"Just take a break, I've got this," Y/n insisted.

"Really?" Laura asked, a teasing smirk on her lips. Every time Y/n tried to help set or fix something it would either break or explode. She remembered past incidents vividly: the malfunction in the Danger Room, the unfortunate demise of her new TV, and the rather explosive incident with Logan's bike.