Chapter 5 : First Mission

Kyoka POV

"Tanjiro what would you do if I turned into a demon?" I asked. Tanjiro looked up from the ground and said: "I'm sorry, say that again?" I sighed. "Nothing" I replied. Tanjiro hadn't said a thing during the whole walk, and I was starting to get worried. "Tanjiro are you okay?" I asked. "I'm just a little nervous, that's all." He stuttered. "Are you sure that's it?" I looked at him quizzically. "Kyoka I've been meaning to tell you something." He said. "Oh boy, this is how your typical love story starts." I rolled my eyes.

"Well get on with it!" I snapped after he had been silent for a few minutes. "Never mind." He said, looking a little flustered. "Are you sure?" I asked. He nodded and we kept walking.

-MINI TIMELAPSE-

We arrived at the village shortly after the awkward exchange. Many people around us were whispering and talking about.... Girls going missing? Weird. They seemed to be talking about one man specifically, who had just walked past us. Tanjiro turned and said: "Kazumi! I would like to speak with you. If I may?" The man led us to the spot where his girlfriend, Satoko disappeared.

Tanjiro POV

"There is a faint scent of the demon here..." I thought. I looked up at Kyoka to see her spinning her kunai and casually walking up and down the alleyway. "This is where Satoko disappeared. You may not believe me but- "I believe you!" I shouted in response. This was a demon's doing and I was sure of it. I bent down to the ground and began to smell my way through town, trying to pinpoint the location of the demon. Kyoka just laughed and began to follow me.

-MINI TIMELAPSE-

Kyoka POV

It was getting late, and Tanjiro had been at it for hours. I knew the demon was close but watching Tanjiro look like an idiot was too funny. Even Kazumi wanted to stop searching. He even thought Tanjiro was trying to make a fool out of him! I looked up at the starry sky and sighed. "I had everything I could ever want except for a person to love me. Wait! Why did I think about that!?" Before I could question myself any longer though, Tanjiro ran off yelling something at me. I ran after him as quickly as the wind. When I arrived at the scene, Tanjiro was already fending off... not 1 but 3 demons! There was an unconscious girl seated up against the wall. She must have been the demon's meal. "THAT'S DISGUSTING!" I screamed at myself. Why would I think about that? I looked down at the ground to see a gross-looking swampy substance forming right in front of me. I bent down to see what it was... that was a mistake. The demon came rushing up and elbowed me in the forehead.

I fell unconscious to the ground.