Chapter 14 - Don't Leave Me so Soon

February 9th 2002

Will and Zoran were unloading their new ship the Pine Hills at the Port of Portsmouth in NH.  The ship is the third ship in Zoran and Will's fleet of small cargo ships.  They are modified coastal vessels with deeper drafts so they can handle better on the open seas yet go into small harbors because they specialize in coastal sailing.   Since they are smaller, they can go to smaller Ports and Portsmouth was available and cheaper than dropping anchor in NYC.  The ships were bought from a Greek shipping company originally and a Greek man that lived in Vancouver named Demitris Chloros helped the boys procure the ships and showed them how to operate them since he used to work for the shipping line that owned them.  In return the boys hired his two sons Yiannis and Tobias who were the chief engineer and Captain on the other two ships. 

~°°°°°~

It was Saturday and the ship was unloaded.  Zoran and Will bought a van truck a few days ago that was a GMC 6500 medium duty truck with a van body.  Inside the van body were multiple chairs, tables and other furniture sourced from their stops in Africa and SE Asia. 

This furniture was more ornate and collectable than ordinary furniture that the boys bought to sell to a client and acquaintance of theirs named Theo Decker.  Theo runs the NYC antique furniture restoration business called Hobart and Blackwell.  The truck was the largest thing Will ever drove on land but he was a better driver than Zoran so he drove them. 

It was lightly snowing as Will drove out of Portsmouth as the sun was blotted out by the clouds.  In just over 6 hours they should be at the shop with this delivery.  Zoran was tired so he cuddled up to Will on the bench seat of the truck as Will drove.  The big flakes coming down were so peaceful and fun to watch that Will almost got disoriented watching them plop into the windshield.  Will felt at peace with Zoran snoring next to him.

After 4 hours of driving, Will pulled into a fuel station to put on gas (gas powered truck) and get something to eat.  There was a gas station in CT with a restaurant attached to it which was perfect.  "Wake up Zoran, we are in Connecticut.  I need to put on gas and we need something to eat."  Will pushed on Zoran as he voiced irritation.  "Can't I just stay next to you sweetie.  I don't want to move."  "Come on Zoran get up.  I'll put on fuel, you go to the restaurant and order us some food."  Zoran got up and grabbed Will's face pulling into a kiss.  "Gross Zoran, you have drool all over your cheek."  Zoran smirked "you love me Byers and everything about me."  Will turned red and left the truck as he wiped the drool off his face.  He knows Zoran is right. 

Zoran found a booth and ordered two deluxe chicken sandwiches with seasoned waffle fries and sodas and Will arrived before the food did.  "I called Theo on the mobile and told him we would be there in about 3 hours.  He said he will be at his apartment over the shop and he will help us unload when we get there.  He said we are staying with him tonight."  Will seemed to relax "I really hope Boris doesn't show up after we unload and want to drink or something.  I'm too tired already.  I just want to get back home in a couple days so we can spend time out of the water."  Zoran snorted as Will said that.  "Knowing Mr. Pavilkovsky he will show up 5 minutes after we unload and will want to drink Vodka until 3am.  We'll be stuck in NYC for two days and we'll be back in Vancouver on Wednesday at the earliest.  I have Tobias and his crew coming to pick up the Pine Hills on Tuesday and they are going back out and will head back toward Vancouver picking up cargo.  We are scheduled to have a month off so we can go on vacation."  The food arrived and Will dug in before he could say anything.

///

Will was back on the road with Zoran.  "Remember back in 92' when we were on the Thelonius Jaha and you finished painting the Black Knight on the side of the superstructure from the chess piece Thelonius gave me?  It looked so cool on our new ship."  Will laughed a little about that.  "I remember a certain Captain bringing me to his quarters and making me help him break in his new bed after I painted that Knight."  Zoran lightly hit Will's arm "you know you have to follow the Captain's orders.  That was one order you never argued with."  Will blushed "it was the only order of yours I enjoyed following."