Bookmark my Heart

Warnings: None! (Though I do believe Flirty!Rooster is a warning I should call out.)

Themes: Meet-Cute, Flirting, Coffee, Books, Smut Books

Word Count: 3456

A/N: So, if you all aren't aware, today is the lovely 's @roosterforme's birthday! I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate Em and all of the amazing things she does more than to write some Rooster for her. So without further ado, I'm pleased to present you all with Bookmark my Heart, a fic where Bradley Bradshaw is an audiobook narrator and the reader, nicknamed Paper, runs right into him! All my thanks to and for beta-reading this fic and catching all of the places where I've missed commas as well as updating my phrasing!

 So without further ado, I'm pleased to present you all with Bookmark my Heart, a fic where Bradley Bradshaw is an audiobook narrator and the reader, nicknamed Paper, runs right into him! All my thanks to  and  for beta-reading this fic and catchi...

You're not the audiobook type. Something about having someone read the pages, providing inflections and changes of tone to the otherwise inflectionless words tends to kill your imagination. So you much prefer reading over listening to the books you're in the mood to peruse. It would just be your luck that an audiobook got you into this predicament. His eyes are piercing as you fumble with your phone to mute the volume, his voice blaring from the device. But maybe you should back up a little bit.

It all started, like it usually did for you, with a book. Unlike normally though, you aren't talking about Keats, Byron, Shelley, or Austen. This time, the book that was your downfall was something you'd usually classify as chick-lit. Not that chick-lit is a bad thing. There are quite a few romance novels which are beautifully written and that you enjoy reading and re-reading. It's just not normal that a romance novel, something smutty and provocative, would end up being talked about on podcasts and the news. That's not considering how all of your female colleagues seem to be talking about the very same book. But that's the other interesting thing. They're not even discussing the book's contents. More like they're discussing the narrator's voice in the audiobook edition - how deep and smooth and raspy it is.

It hadn't even been a full day before the curiosity got the better of you and you purchased the book from Kindle Unlimited. It took you the better part of two weeks before you actually screwed up the courage to listen to it though. Maybe you shouldn't have picked a Saturday morning when you were running errands to listen to the book. In your defense, there was no better time to listen to the book other than a day when you'd be spending quite a long time in the car with nothing else to do. You'd definitely miscalculated. Dear lord, this man's voice?! It's deep and raspy, something smooth and dark in how he voices the syllables. It's the kind of voice you've once heard referred to as panty-wetting - an epithet you've never understood until now.

The book has you squirming as you walk through the grocery store. There's sweat dripping down your spine as he talks about something involving fighter jets and the men (and women - you always feel like you have to correct) who fly them. You'd never have thought that flaps and ailerons could ever be that alluring. You have to take a minute as you leave the grocery store, sitting in your car in silence practically heaving just at the way the word "Doll" had dripped off of his lips. Maybe you can buy into the hype a little bit. It's not often that you find a romance book in the male perspective after all. As far as finding the pilots sexy goes, though, what can you say? You've seen Top Gun - both movies - those boys in their dress whites are awfully sexy.