Chapter 21

Kristal Anderson

Kristal Anderson

I was never good at comforting people.

I just felt like I could never find the right words, like every word I said was the exact opposite of what they wanted to hear. So for the most part, I chose silence over comforting words. Which could arguably just be making things worst and making the person feel a lot more shitty.

But in that very moment, I wished for nothing more than to have every right word at the tip of my tongue, every single word that would comfort him and calm him in such a difficult situation.

But I had nothing.

And I hated myself for it.
We were in his car speeding down the dark desolate streets that would lead us to his parents house. His grip on the steering wheel was deadly, his knuckles turning white in the process. His eyes hadn't left the road since we got in the car.

We had left the ball the moment he finished reading through it, it was a text from his mom's nurse asking for him to come over. The vagueness in her text sent him on a spiral of pure panic.

Rushing out of the venue, I had insisted on taking a cap home so that he could go and see his mother in peace but he protested against it, telling me that I was his responsibility and that he wouldn't be able to go on with his night knowing I was out in a stranger's car.

According to him, his parents house was just a few minutes away from the venue so it was much more time efficient to go see what his mother's nurse wanted before dropping me back at home. We had been driving for about ten minutes and seemed to be moving away from the city, the road was empty almost as if it were a private road built for supercars to race on.

Another glance at Aiden and my heart completely shattered in my chest, the distressed look on his face was harrowing and I wanted nothing more than for it to disappear.

Say something! Do something! I screamed at myself.

My hands trembled as I considered reaching out and touching him, giving his shoulder a reassuring squeeze, anything that would help me show him that I was here, that he could count on me. My fear of doing something wrong held me back making me squeeze my hands into fists on my lap.

Maybe touching him would make things worst, maybe that was the last thing he needed in that moment.

We came to a stop in front of a large black gate that stopped me from considering any more ideas. Rolling down his window, he pressed his thumb on the keypad and just like that the gate opened revealing what could be considered a palace.I was practically peeling my jaw off the floor as we rounded a large fountain at the front of the house and came to a stop.

My guess was always that Aiden was some kind of model but after tonight it was safe to say that he was no ordinary neighbor, he was the son of a multimillionaire with an empire that would be passed down onto him.