Chapter 6: Heights

After stealthing past the soldiers that were looking for us, we found ourselves able to rest for a moment. 

"Alright, they're gone" Dad said as Ellie sat down on a nearby stump, while I was still trying to catch my breath due to all the running. 

"Look- what was the plan? Let's say that we deliver you to the Fireflies, what then?" Tess asked. 

"Marlene... She said that they have their own little quarantine zone. With doctors there, still trying to find a cure"

"Yeah, we've heard that before, huh, Tess?" Dad asked, sarcastically, obviously not believing a word of all this. Natasha stood next to me with her arms crossed and a stern expression on her face. 

"And, that whatever happened to me is the key to finding a vaccine"

"Oh, Jesus"

"It's what she said"

"Oh, I'm sure she did" Ellie stood up quickly, glaring at my dad as they went back and forth. 

"Hey, fuck you, man. I didn't ask for this" 

"Me neither. Tess, what the hell are we doing here?"

"What if it's true?" Tess asks, causing my dad to scoff and Natasha and I to stare at her, surprised. Usually, Tess is the second hardest to convince, next to my dad. 

"I can't believe-"

"What if, Joel?" 

"You can't be serious?" I asked. 

"I mean we've come this far, let's just finish it"

"Do I need to remind you what is out there?" Dad asks. 

"I get it..." I knew what Tess was hinting at. Ellie was starting to remind dad of Sarah. Her attitude and how she carried herself was a lot like my big sister. Dad didn't want to get attached again and honestly... Neither did I. 

Natasha grabbed Tess' arm, pulling her off to the side, but we could still hear their conversation. 

"You seriously believe this bullshit?!"

"I know it sounds ridiculous, but what if she's telling the truth. If you don't trust them... Trust me"

"I trust you, you know I do..... Just, please be careful with this. I don't know what I would do if I lost you" Tess pulled Natasha into a tight hug before putting their foreheads together. 

"I love you sweetheart" 

"I love you too mom" After that, Tess started leading the way. 

"This way. If we cut through downtown, we can hit the capitol building by sunrise" 

"We hope" My dad muttered. 

"Holy moley. I guess this is what these buildings look like up close" Ellie paused, taking in the buildings or what used to be buildings. 

"So, what happened here?"

"They bombed the hell out of the surrounding areas to the quarantine zones, hoping to kill as much of the infected as possible" Tess explained as we walked. 

"It worked - for a little while" Natasha adds before we heard growling in the distance, making me tense up slightly. 

"Ahhh, what the hell was that?"

"Tess, do you hear that?" Dad asks. 

"Yeah, sounded pretty far away though"

"Yeah... pretty far away" I mutter.