Grandma Saves the Day

The fundraiser was proving to be turning out quite well; if I didn't know better, I would've said it was a complete success. But I knew we still had to make quite a bit of money to save the shelter, and I could only hope that by the end of the day, we would have enough to pay off our debt. And when the fundraiser came to a close and everyone started going home, I held my breath as Deb approached the rest of us at our tent.

"So, Deb?" Gina said anxiously. "How did we do?"

Olivia came over to my side and grasped my hand in hers, giving it a tight squeeze and I smiled at her. Brady also came over and put his hand on my shoulder in a comforting manner. It was almost shocking that I was allowing this much physical contact but I didn't really think about it as I anxiously awaited Deb's reply. This was it, this was the moment where we would find out if our efforts had paid off. I just hoped the odds were in our favor after everything we had been through. 

Deb smiled. "I want to thank everyone for all their hard work and diligence, it was because of you guys that we were able to make this day happen." She sighed. "Unfortunately, we were a couple hundred dollars short of what we needed to make the lease. I'm so sorry, everyone."

I could feel my heart stop for a split second. 'No' I thought as dread began to spread like wild fire. I just couldn't believe it...

I had just begun to wrap my head around it when I heard a chuckle come from behind me. My heart pounded as I turned to see Mulbary standing there with a smug smile on his face and his arms crossed. I had never felt so sad and angry in my life as I saw him standing there looking triumphant as he knew we had failed. And I knew all was lost.

"My, my," Mulbary said. "Such a shame you couldn't save your little shelter. And after you worked so hard, it's truly a pity. But don't feel too bad, you gave it your best shot even though I told you it was hopeless."

I wanted to scream at him, to tell him he was low-life scum and bash him on the head with that stupid brief case he had but I knew it was pointless. Mulbary had won, and no amount of yelling or hitting would change what was going to happen.

"You are scum," Gina said. "No, actually, I take that back, you are worse than scum. Only a total jerk would want to shut down our shelter."

"Say what you want," Mulbary shrugged. "You still failed and I am still buying the property. And insulting me will not help your cause, not that you have one."

"I can't believe the shelter is going to be sold to trash like you," Brady said.

"Well, believe it!" Mulbary snapped. "Because there is nothing you can do about it."

"Actually, there is," My grandma stepped forward.

Mulbary looked over and sneered. "What's this got to do with you, old woman?"

I glared at him. "Don't you talk that way to my grandmother!"

"It's all right, Kendall," Grandma smirked at Mulbary. "This man can say what he wants but he hasn't won."

She walked up to Deb and took a piece of paper out of her purse, and then handed it to her. Deb looked at her confused.

"Go ahead," Grandma said. "Unfold it and see what it says."
Deb shrugged and unfolded the paper. After reading it, she gasped and put her hand over her chest as she sputtered.

"I-I don't believe!" She cried. "This check is twice the amount we need to pay off the rest of our debt! There's even enough to pay off next month's rent!"
"What?!" Gina and Mulbary cried out.

"Are you serious?" Brady asked in disbelief.

"Yes!" Deb was practically leaping for joy. "And this means we can keep the shelter!"