Chapter 25-Audrey

The weekend at Lakeview Hollow unfolds like a dream. Tucked away amongst the trees, the cabin invites shared laughter, heartfelt conversations, and the gentle blooming of affection. In Jake's company, every moment feels whole with formerly missing pieces, now filled, and the ties of friendship growing into a profound and meaningful bond.

In the town's tranquillity, we find solace in both the cabin and the companionship of Jake, Ben, Ellie, and Maggie. Our days filled with endless exploration, strolling tirelessly around town, discovering its most intimate quirks, and delicious, satisfying meals. Engaging in conversations with Jake's friends uncovers common threads that seem to connect us with Lakeview Hollow.

The cabin resonates with Jake's joyful laughter. The amity between him and Aislinn is heartening, and it warms me to see my daughter connecting with someone as genuine and caring as Jake.

Our idyllic weekend fades as Monday morning arrives. A sombre atmosphere settles in the cabin as Aislinn and I prepare to leave, Jake's eyes manifesting the unexpressed emotions we all seem to share. Our parting, filled with a poignant recognition of our strengthened bond, causes my stomach to drop. I'm going to miss this place, this man, this atmosphere, but what can I do?

Every morning, as we trudge through the crowded streets, navigating the concrete jungle to work and school, both Aislinn and I yearn for the serene beauty of Lakeview Hollow. The vibrant colours of the leaves reflecting off the crystal-clear water, the soothing sound of the gentle breeze rustling through the trees, and the friendly smiles of the townspeople all feel like distant memories.

The cityscape offers no solace for our restless souls now; it's lost its charm, cold and impersonal. Even our routine lives that once provided comfort are now empty and repetitive, without meaning or purpose. I'm not even sure what enticed me here. Work? Opportunities? Adventure? I can't honestly recall. But I know my heart aches for something else, something different. The piece of the puzzle that is now back on the shelf.

It was an ordinary Thursday, much the same as the one before it, and the one before that. A registered letter arrives. Curious, I open it to reveal its significance. The information contained within unveils the irrevocable nature of my divorce, representing the finalization of a chapter in my life that unexpectedly concluded with remarkable ease. Finally, it seems, something is going my way. The settlement exposes years of financial manipulation, quietly negotiated by lawyers.

The house, part of his superannuation, and a significant sum concealed in a secret account-these are now mine. Ours; Aislinn and mine. Astonishingly, there's no demand for visitation with his daughter; he relinquishes any claim to Aislinn without a fight. Financial abuse is undeniably evident, and justice prevails, despite the delay.

Relief at our financial security is one thing, but to give up his daughter is an entirely new low, even for him. Although he had failed as a husband, his secret had become common knowledge among the lawyers, or at least a fraction of it (it's unlikely they knew the full extent). Nonetheless, he had never faltered in being a remarkable father to Aislinn. How can he just abandon her like this? I have never asked for sole custody, so why do this? Maybe as revenge to me for his financial loss, perhaps? She's worth more than that, though, and she's most definitely not a pawn in this divorce game he's playing. He must protect Aislinn. Both of us should not manipulated for vengeful retribution. Ugh, he disgusts me.

His clenched fists and rage were not just isolated incidents, rather a recurring pattern of violence that's haunted me for years. The physical scars may have healed, but the memories of his aggression, both verbal and physical, still haunt my thoughts. The bruises now faded, yet the fear he instilled remains. His cutting words, like a constant barrage of emotional bullets, chipped away at my self-worth. They made me question my every decision and left me feeling worthless and powerless. The invisible barrier he created around me still lingers, overshadowing my ability to trust and love again.