Chapter 1: Sad

Floyd's terminal performance orchestrated the tidal wave of neon dancers in the little-known night club of Mount Rageous. Every soul in the crowd moved at once with him, except for one wide-eyed spectator.

Veneer, stationary, the lee to the current of dance, saw upon the stage an idol, a muse, a personal goal. He grasped towards the lit succubi with a frail, gloved arm.

Out of reach.

A buzzing noise, like a mosquito, sucked half of Veneer's attention away for a moment. The cell phone's screen illuminated another of his sister's requests.

Meet me at home NOW. time to film another TikTok. PS Im hungry Bring Taco Bell.

Veneer's shoulders tensed like a hose taking to a spigot. He closed his eyes tightly, allowing himself to flow back into the song; and there he was, waltzing to the melody of November Rain, his hand supporting the tiny singer...

Bzzzt.

Veneer clicked the phone off to the beat of his heart palpitations

Veneer clicked the phone off to the beat of his heart palpitations. Was it stress? Or was his heart beating with the rhythm of the new song the mysterious little singer was beginning? Veneer was unsure. His cardiologist seemed flummoxed as well.

The drum beat fluttered and a guitar with a faceless player swooned. The tiny dancer took a knee and caressed his microphone.

"Can anybody find me
Somebody to love?"

Veneer held a hand against hisheart.

"Ooh, each morning I get up I die a littleCanbarely stand on my feet

Canbarely stand on my feet

Take a look at yourself in the mirror and cry
Take alook in the mirror and cry
Lord, what you're doing to me? (Yeah,yeah)
I have spent all my years in believin' you
But I justcan't get no relief, Lord"

Time froze. The music man's ministrations evangelized Veneer, an acolyte of the lyrics that testified his personal frustration and...

"Somebody (Somebody)
Ooh, somebody(Somebody)
Can anybody find me
Somebody to love?"