012🌹

"Why do you always have to be so difficult

"Why do you always have to be so difficult." Evelyn said out loud to her little brother who was holding the door frame. Their father and mother had left early for the village and the siblings promised to follow them to church.

"Because I don't want to go to church, it's boring and I always fall asleep." Edward said aloud and his grip loosened. Evelyn and Edward both collapsed on the porch.

"Edward please, father will punish us all." Elliot said at the same time as he walked out the door onto the porch.

"Alright!" He said with a shout and started walking towards the road mumbling. Evelyn raised an eyebrow at Elliot. "And father hates me because I always rebelled."

"He doesn't hate you." Elliot spoke and they started walking. Evelyn looked at her brother with a knowing expression. "We all know he hates me." She said pointing.

Elliot let out a loud sigh and picked up a rock from the ground. "Maybe he just won't show you his love." Elliot spoke and threw a rock.

"Haha, he hates me and that will never change. He's waiting for the day I turn eighteen and he'll throw me out." Evelyn said laughing out loud and Elliot rolled his eyes.

"If he hated you so much why did he agree to your proposal of my wedding?" Elliot asked looking at his sister who was picking flowers. "That's a good question, maybe I have a gift for manipulation." Evelyn joked and Elliot laughed.

"That explains it." They laughed and reached the village.

✿✿✿

They walked through a cemetery which is decorated with trees swaying in the late summer wind. Some of the leaves started to change their color to reddish, like a fire changing its color.

At the end of the summer, the sun still warmed the sky and the evenings started to cool down. The flowers in the meadow still bloom, but they also die when autumn begins and the evenings get colder.

They arrived at the church doors where their father was talking to a man and their mother smiled at Edward who was the first to run to her. As you can say, Edward is a mother's boy and Elliot is clearly his father's favorite.

"Oh kids you came just in time." Their father started and the oldest siblings exchanged confused looks.

They walked in through the wooden doors and Evelyn smiled when she saw Alec standing with his mother in the hall.

"The last time father said those words he was talking to the priest in the previous village." Elliot said to his sister whose smile started to freeze.

"Oh well, this doesn't know good." Evelyn said, her eyes widening.

Alec who looked at his girl gave a questioning look further away, but Evelyn didn't react. He wanted to walk over to Evelyn and take her in his arms, but Jane nudged him, knowing her brother's intentions.

"I guess you think the same as me." Elliot spoke and they watched as their father arrived with the man.

"Evelyn, Elliot. This is one of the founding families of the village. Jonathan." Their father told and smiled looking at his daughter. "Nice to meet you especially you Evelyn." Jonathan spoke.

They shook hands and Evelyn and Elliot looked at each other knowingly. Evelyn started to feel sick and wanted to run to the river and into Alec's arms.

The wooden doors of the church opened and a brown haired boy stepped inside, he was a couple of centimeters taller than Evelyn. He walked towards them and stopped next to Jonathan.

"This is my son Jeremy." Jonathan started and their father smiled and shook the boy's hand with a happy look on his face.

"Very nice to meet you Jeremy, I'm Arthur and this is my daughter Evelyn." He told and the boy turned his eyes to Evelyn.

"Hi Evelyn. I've heard a lot about you." Jeremy spoke and extended his hand. Evelyn who was frozen in place stared blankly at the boy in front of her. She blinked, feeling her father's stern stare. Evelyn put a fake smile on her face and held out hand which Jeremy took but kissed the back of her hand.

"You're really beautiful." He said quietly and Evelyn tried to keep a smile on her face.

"We have talked with your father that you would be a good match for each other, so when Evelyn reaches full age you will get married and move into the house I have planned for my son." Jonathan spoke and Evelyn felt the world spinning around her.

Elliot felt his eyes widen and looked at his sister who was still frozen in place with a smile on her face. He glanced past his sister and saw Alec watching with a hurt look on his face, he must have heard everything too because his sister Jane was also staring at them open mouthed.

"This must have come as a surprise to you." Jonathan spoke and glanced at Arthur next to him who was staring angrily at his daughter.

"For sure, this was a huge surprise for my daughter, but she is happy about it." Their father spoke and Evelyn swallowed a large lump in her throat.

"Yes, this was a big surprise, but I'm happy about it." She spoke and Jeremy smiled at her.

"It's really good to hear, you have a lot of time to get to know my son and maybe we could have dinner together." Jonathan spoke and Evelyn smiled.

"That sounds great."

Evelyn and Elliot remained standing as their father and new acquaintances started walking towards the wooden benches.

Evelyn let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and stepped in front of her brother, her eyes wide. "This can't be happening." She said, exclaiming, yet whispering.

Elliot looked down at his sister and sighed. "You knew this was going to happen, sooner or later." He spoke and Evelyn raised her hands to her chest.

"Yes! But I didn't expect it to happen so quickly. I'm not even seventeen!" She spoke and turned her gaze to Alec who started walking with his sister towards the wooden benches.

"Oh shit." She mumbled and Elliot looked in the direction.

"Looks like you have a big problem ahead of you." He spoke and Evelyn turned to look him in the eye. "So big a problem I don't know what to do and I need your help brother." Evelyn spoke and Elliot raised an eyebrow.

"I think I'm in love with Alec." She whispered.