6|An Unexpected Visitor

"I'm shocked". Prince Tucker, the engineer, commented staring at the parked bikes in poorly hidden awe. The fuel gauges had been pointing at empty for several miles of the journey.

Gerald didn't even know what prompted the tears in his eyes, whether it was because of the miracle that he had just witnessed or because he knew exactly who had done it or probably it had been both. What he did know was that it prevented him from making a witty remark.

"Don't be". Cassano said instead with a smile that enhanced the laugh lines beside his kind eyes. "We all know who it is".

There was a tentative silence as if the men didn't quite know what to do. They had been so used to living their lives with a physical mindset; focusing on facts and tangible materials while forgetting their beginning. And with a reminder of their beginning they didn't quite know how to feel.

Even Gerald with his recent repentance was at a loss on what to do. He couldn't help but focus on what the people thought about being thrown into such a loop. He wondered if they had forgotten Him so much that they were angry that Cassano had mentioned it. Or if they had gotten so into their head about their achievements that they no longer believed that it wasn't their doing. So many possibilities raced through his head that he barely realized that one of the miners had started talking.

"Well, we thank whoever it is".

The man all agreed with nervous smiles and hurried out of the workshop leaving Gerald, Cassano and Prince.

The thick concrete walls of the workshop did little to contain the tension that hung heavily in the air. Everyone's emotions were taut.

"What was that talk about?". Prince's voice came out unexpectedly harsh.

"The beliefs that this fortress is founded upon". Gerald said sternly. Somehow, Prince Tucker's tone brought out a defensive side that he didn't know existed.

"The beliefs that have not been in practice for years? The same beliefs that we have survived without? Please tell me, what beliefs?". Prince was almost raising his voice, a strange anger taking over his eyes. One that Gerald was starting to find scary.

But it wasn't fear that made Gerald deflate. It was a realization.

They had neglected the one who had saved them and established them. Yet despite the large chasm between the Outcasts and Yahweh, they had still been surviving.

"The beliefs might have died in the hearts of the believers but the one who we believe in still lives no matter what we may think". Cassano said.

Before Prince could counter, Cassano was speaking again.

"And maybe sustaining us is His way of showing how much He loves us despite our estrangement from Him. Maybe this is Him telling us that however far we run from Him, he is waiting for us with open arms. Have you ever thought of that?".

"What kind of entity would be so reckless and foolish as to love the people that hate him?".

"It is only foolish in your own eyes. But Yahweh is everything pure and holy and therefore his love is pure and unconditional". Cassano replied.

There was a terse moment of silent where Gerald was beginning to think that Prince had a change of heart. Until...

"Leave". Prince ordered, his eyes hard as steel.

Gerald was about to retort at the blatant disrespect but Cassano softly shook his head and they both left.

The air was crisp and bitterly cold much like what they had faced some hours before. The only difference was that the fortress lacked any sound whatsoever. The air was eeriely still.