Chapter 1

Stiles POV

I woke up shaking and drenched in sweat. As I struggled to catch my breath, I leaned over and turned on my phone to check the time, 5:18 am and two texts. I still have another two hours, God I hate mondays. I thought to myself, laying my head back down on my pillow.
I'd gotten panic attacks in my sleep before, starting after my mom died. They'd been really bad back then, now only every once in a while. This one was exceptionally bad though, it had been a dream, I'd had it before, I was running down a long white hall, always running, no matter how fast I ran, the end was always the same distance away. So visibly there but so physically unreachable. Then the walls close in, slowly coming closer and closer until I can't move at all. That's when it usually gets bad. That's when I begin to feel my breath get short and my chest get tight.
As my breathing slows back to normal I roll back over and check my phone. Two texts from Scott, one almost an hour and one just now. I entered my pass code and opened the messages.

*cant sleep. I'm coming over.*

*I'm here*

Just as I read the second message, I heard my front door open and shut softly, only Scott. Only Scott would show up at my house at 5:30 because he couldn't sleep. What if I wanted to sleep longer? Damn Scott I need my beauty sleep. My thoughts were cut off by my bedroom door being opened and Scott walking in. His hair looked like rats were living in it and he had dark circles under his eyes. All in all he looked like hell.
He entered my room and closed the door, a little too loudly, before stumbling over to my desk and throwing himself down in the chair. "Scott," I begin--no response-- "Scott what is it?" I ask, growing more and more concerned as the silence stretches on. "Scott" I repeat, getting up out of bed and walking over to the desk chair. I spin the chair around so Scott is facing me. His head is in his hands and he's shaking ever so slightly. I hear him mutter something under his breath, and instantly I know what's wrong. Allison Argent, Scotts girlfriend and a close friend of all of us, has Leukemia. She was diagnosed around a year ago and we all thought she was getting better. Judging by the look on Scotts face I guess we were wrong.
"Scott look at me." I start. He raises his head slightly, and I put one arm on his shoulder. "They're going to figure this out okay?" I give a sad smile before continuing. "This one isn't on us." I finish, by now Scott is looking me straight in the eyes, and I see that there are tears filling them. That's not a good sign.
We sit there in silence for what feels like ages before he finally speaks. "She was sent to the ER Friday night" He sounds broken, like its already over. I throw my arms around him and he doesn't hesitate for a second before returning the gesture. We stay like this for quite a while, neither of us speaking.
This situation is eerily similar to when I was getting my MRI and Scott was there after. I guess that's just what we do, Scott and I, we stick together.
When we do finally pull away I notice the smell, a mix of body odor and hospital. "Scott I may not have superhuman senses but you wreak man. Did you not leave all weekend?" I ask, knowing he didn't. "Go take a shower." I laugh under my breath and shove him towards the door. It seems as if only a few minutes pass as I change into clothes for school and run my hands through my hair. I check my phone again, 6:28 it reads. Shit I thought. We're going to be late. Again. Not that being late, or even not show up at all for that matter, were that big of a deal for us, today was the first day. "Scott! Get your ass out we're going to be late. Again." I sigh, banging on the door one more time before rushing down the steps to wait in my jeep. It was going to be one hell of a long day.