One: An unbidden desire 1

The  air  smells  like  wild  roses  when  you're  around  the  one  you  love.  At  least  it  smells  like  that  to  me,  like  ruggedly  placed  flowers  all  tumbled over  by  the  touch  of  a  night's  rain,  still  delicate  under  the  gentle  caress  of  morning  dew.

Am certain Amari  feels  the  same  way  too.  After  all,  the  world  would  say he  belongs  to  her.  Her  husband  by  the  legal  rights  and  standing  of  the  Hariban  culture.  But  even  time  has  it's  way  of  setting  right  what  has  been  warped  along  the  way,  smoothing  the  edges  until  a  different  reality  arises.

My  case  with  Kofi  has  always  been  like  this,  a  reality  I envision  each  night  since  I  got  home;  his  fingers  wrapped  in  the  tangle  of  my  untamed  hair,  his  lips  on  the  skin  of  my  neck,  his moans  of  pleasure  mixing  with  mine  every  break  of  dawn  which  would  replace  that  of  Amari's.

A  sister  coveting  her  sister's  man  is  not  a  tale  so  new.  And  not  as  absurd  as  it  may  sound. No, not  when  all  that's  happening  is  I  getting  back  what  had  been  stolen.  Yes.  Because  before  he  was  hers,  he  had been  mine.  Mine  and  mine  to  claim  alone.

And  if  fate  hadn't  been  so  cruel  to  us,  then  I  wouldn't  have  to  be  seated  here,  watching  her  hands  wrapped  over  his,  struggling  so  hard  to  smile  when  she  makes  a  joke  in  order  not  to  raise  suspicions  in  a  banquet  full  of  nosy  relatives and  friends.

I  grasp  at  a  cup  full  of  beer  and  choke  on  it's entire  content.  The bitterness  that  comes  afterwards,  burning  itself  to  my  tongue  and  throat,  whilst  spreading, slowly,  across  the  expanse  of  my  chest  is  awfully  comforting.

Ugh.  What  a  clingy  whore.

She  doesn't  even  see  the  discomfort  on  his  face,  the  way  his  eyes  dart  around  when  he's  tossed  into  a situation  he  finds  displeasing.  His  laugh  is  tight  around  the  edges,  not  as  pleasant,  not  as  free  as  I  recall.
"He's  such  an  eye  candy  even  after  all  this  years,  isn't  he?"  Bisola  Tut's from beside  me,  "time  definitely  loves  him."  In  one  hand  she's  got  a  Calabash  filled  with  palm  wine.  And  all  though  her  speech  remains  clear,  from  the  amount  of  teeth  she's  letting  out,  I  know  the  drink's  already  getting  to  her.

"Your  Lord father  might  not  be  here,  but  words  would  reach  him  if  you  decide  to  make  a  fool  of yourself,"  I  say.

"What  more  can  he  do  under  the  influence  of  that  witch?"  She  replies,  throwing  another  bright  smile  at  a  girl  our  age  standing  on  the  other  side  of  the  hall,  "he's  already  sent  me  to  the  extreme  ends  of  Zuwe  because  of  the  thing  between  her  legs."

"He  can  make  sure  your  second  stay  there  becomes  permanent,"  I  quip,  "then  what  would  I  do  without  you?"

"Oh,  dear  Hadassah,"  she  curls  her  free  hand  around  my  shoulders  and  takes  another  long  sip  from  the  Calabash,  "with  the  way  you're  swallowing  down  Kofi  with  your  gaze,  I  can  bet  on  my  life  you'll  be  making  the  trip  back  with  me."

"You  can  keep  dreaming,"  I  sigh,  seizing  her  cup and  downing  the  contents  within  it,  "no  one  can  keep  me  far  away  from  what  I  want  again.  I  mean  no  one."

"I  know  that  look,  Hadassah,"  she  says,  untangling  herself  from  me,  "that  look  that  says  nothing's  going  to  end  well.  By  the  way,  is  it  just  me  or do  I  need  to  stash  more  drink  for  after  this  caricature  of  a  party  is  done  with?"

She's  shaking  her  empty  Calabash,  tipping  it  from  side  to  side  as  though  listening  for  the  gentle  turn of  wine  within  it.  I  personally  think  she's  had  enough.  And  what  with  the  sneaking  stares  suddenly  coming  our  way,  a  nasty  scenario  is  the  last  thing  on  my  list:  at  least  not  while  Kofi  is  watching,  not  while  those  deep,  dark  eyes  keep  lingering  my  way,  frequently  washing  me  in  the  awareness  of  his  presence.
I  wonder  if  Amari  feels  it  too;  his  wandering  mind,  too  slippery  to  be  caught,  too precious  to  keep.

"Do  you  need  help  with  her?"  Someone  suddenly  asks.  I  turn  my  gaze  to  the  speaker,  a  young  man  in  early  bloom,  his  eyes  bright  with  ambition,  his  body  filled  with  flesh  only  gotten  from  a  life  of  ease.  There  is  an  ever  hopeful  air  about  him:  one  which  I  instantly  loathe.

"I  think  I  can  do  just  fine  with  her,"  I  reply,  making  sure  my  voice  sounds  just  as  uninterested  as  I  am.  But the  gets  none  of  it.  Or  pretends  not  to  grasp  my  nonchalance.

"It  seems  as  though  she'd  soon  become too  much  of a  handful–"

"Who  are  you  calling  a  handful?"  Bisola  juts  her  chin  at  him.  Oh  heavens,  I  sigh  inwardly,  they  are  watching,  all  of  them...  these  men  whom  my  father  invited  over.  These  princes  and  nobles  and  heirs  to  the  many  prestigious  lineages  waiting  to  pounce  on  the  carcass  that  has  been  set  before  them.
As  though  they've  got  a  chance  to  play  in  my  Lord  father's  delusional  game?  I  see  nothing  of  Kofi  in  them.

"I  am  Lord Ganto  of  the  northern  mountains  of  Zuwe,"  he  introduces  himself,  "am  sorry  I  arrived  late  so  we  couldn't  be  acquainted  earlier  on."  He  adds,  when  I  remain  silent,  "and  you  are?"

"Am  sure  you're  already  aware  of  that,"  sarcasm  streams  out  of  me,  "Lord  Ganto  of  Zuwe's  northern  mountains."

And  then  he  laughs.  The  thing  laughs.  As  though  I've  made  some  sort  of  private  joke  between  us.
"You  are  just  as  beautiful  to behold  as  the  rumors  says,"  he  continues,  "a  hibiscus  amongst  many  flowers."  His  gaze  stays  transfixed  to  my  face,  like  one  on  the  edge  of  an  obsession:  I  feel  discomfort  at  his  audacity.

"Am  sure  these  aren't  the  only  things  you  must  have  heard  of  me,  my  Lord.  I  should  tell  you  that  not  one  of  them  is  without  an  iota  of  truth."
The Calabash  falls  out  of  Bimbo's  hands  when  I  seize  her  wrist  in  a  firm  grasp.  "Where  are  we  going?"  She  inquires.

"Away  from  the  piranhas."  I  quip,  a  little  too  loudly.  Something  akin  to  shock  dashes  across  his  eyes  as  he  takes  me  up,  the  meaning  of  my  words  sinking  into  his  consciousness.
I  know  if  mother  wasn't  so  busy  socializing  with  the  women  of  her  circle  outside,  if  she  was  here  to  witness  my  speech  then  she  would  be  totally  flabbergasted.  I  imagine  her  mouth  would  flap  open  and  close  and  open  again  like  a  dying  fish –just  as  Amari's–if  she  knows  I  was  already  in  motion  of  sabotaging  father's  exquisite  plan.
A  lady  awaiting  a  man  must learn  to  be  comely,  to  be  pleasant  to  both  the  eyes  and  the  ears.  Which  sadly  I  seemed  to  be  gravely  lacking  in  the  later.  At  least  these  are  her  never  changing  assessment  of  me.
I  leave  him  standing  there,  the  stranger  with  his  surprise  and  distaste.  For  a  moment,  as  I  heave  Bisola with  me,  just  for  an  aeon  of  eternity,  my  eyes  clash  softly  with  Kofi,  and  the  smile  which  dangles  across  his  lips  is  enough  to  shoot  stars  across  my  vision.

To  hell  with  Amari,  I  think,  to  hell  with  a  banquet  full  of  potential  suitors  and  the  nauseating  stench  of  my  father's  ever  growing  ambitions.