5. ꜰɪɴɢᴇʀʟɪɴɢ ᴘᴏᴛᴀᴛᴏ

·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·

·:*¨¨* ≈☆≈ *¨¨*:·.

*Lyra's POV*

In the morning, I was rudely awakened as my covers were ripped off. "Noo...." I groaned, peeking open my eyes to see a smirking Joshua.

"Come on, Ly." He chuckled.

"It's too earlyyyyy." I whined, curling into a ball.

"It's seven, we're going to be late to school." He sighed, moving his hand away as I made a grab for my blanket.

"No.... you're gonna be late. I don't care if I am." I rolled my eyes. 

"Look, Lyra. I can not be late okay? Come on, let's go." He said in his no arguing with me voice.

"Okay, mom." I glared, speaking sarcastically. He rolled his eyes as he walked away. I rolled out of bed and threw on some clothes. I quickly ran downstairs and grabbed a waffle from Joshua. 

We went into his car and Joshua started driving. "So...." I said, "What was up with you last night?"

"I thought you forgot about that." Joshua frowned.

"Forgot about you being a jerk to me? Nah." I shrugged.

"Look, I don't want to talk about it." Joshua sighed.

"Bout what?" I said, taking a bite of my waffle, "Cause the only thing the geeky Joshua doesn't like talking about is if he fails a test, but that's not possible." Joshua didn't respond to my comment. I glanced up to see him staring out the window. "Josh?"

"Lyra, I don't-" He said, his voice somewhat distressed.

"Oh my fricking god, you failed a test?!" I gasped. I wanted so badly to rub it in his face but he looked upset and I wasn't a monster.

"I-..." He trailed off, staring intently at the road.

"Oh my god...." I repeated, still in shock, "Everything makes sense now. What test was it?" I asked, trying hard to hide my smirk.

"Math....." He said, pausing before clenching the wheel tighter, his knuckles turning white.

"Math?!" I gasped, "But that's your favorite subject, ew by the way."

"I don't know!" Joshua sighed as they pulled into the school parking lot. "Look, Ly, can we please just drop it."

"Sorry." I said. I knew Joshua cared a lot about his grades and he'd never failed before. I grabbed my school bag and walked towards the building, saying goodbye to Joshua. I felt kind of bad having teased him. He probably was inwardly killing himself for failing. That was just how Joshua was.

As I entered the school, I looked around, making my way over to the locker. My best friend, Anya was already standing by my locker, waiting patiently. She perked up when she saw me, smiling, "Hey Ly." She grinned.