Chapter 6 - without you

This is a memory/flashback kinda thing at first then moves into the present day.  Also, this chapter is a look into Vanessa's old gang and friends.

Vanessa stood in front of her friend, Jacob. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she felt like she was about to do something terrible. "You're running away?!" Jacob exclaimed, his voice filled with shock and disbelief. "Keep your voice down!" Vanessa hissed, glancing around to make sure no one was listening. "Yes," she said, her voice barely above a whisper, "I can't do this anymore."

Jacob looked at her with concern. "You can't leave us here without you," he said, pointing at Vanessa. "Liam's going to go mad. we need you." Jacob had always been there for Vanessa, he had been one of the only few who treated her with respect, and she could see how much he cared for her.

Vanessa sighed heavily. "I understand," she said, "but if I stay, Liam will keep on taking advantage of me, and Aiden will continue to threaten me." She avoided looking at Jacob, feeling guilty for leaving the friends who still loved her, but she felt like she had no other choice.

Suddenly, Ben appeared out of nowhere, surprising both Jacob and Vanessa. "What are you two doing?" he asked, eyeing them suspiciously.

"I'm running away," Vanessa interjected before Jacob could say anything else.

Ben looked her up and down before nodding. "I think that's for the best," he said, helping her pack her horse. Ben had been the one who warned her that 'Liam's not what he seems' when she first joined, but unfortunately, she had ignored him.

Ben let out a sigh and spoke up again. "I need you to understand something. When you run away, and if you try to come back, he will kill you. So, I'm begging you, please don't try to play hero this time." He paused for a moment, looking over to camp before continuing. "Promise me."

She didn't know what to say. She knew he was right. Once she was gone, she couldn't come back, not if she wanted to keep on living. But the thought of leaving her friends, to whom she had grown so attached, had left her heartbroken. "I... I promise," she choked on tears.

"Vanessa, we'll miss you," Ben said, nodding sympathetically. "Take care of yourself, I know you can."

Jacob avoided eye contact and kicked some dirt. "Be safe," he said, his voice quiet and filled with pain. "I'll miss you too."

Ben was getting impatient and told her to get on her horse. "Go now," he hurriedly said, looking back at the camp where movement had started. She mounted her horse, Magpie, and turned to look back at the two. She mouthed the words "I'll miss both of you" before she began to ride as fast as she could, tears streaming down her face.

present day - pov Ben

Ben sat down alone while he listened to Liam scream about finding Vanessa while He was flicking through Vanessa's journal she left whether on purpose or accident, he wasn't sure. Now he knew Vanessa had some secrets he thought he knew most of them but no, he never knew she had felt feelings for Liam he always thought it was fake. Luckily she realised he wasn't the same man that shot the rope around her neck.

Ben does miss Vanessa and her bossy commands and friendly snarky comments but he knows she had to leave he knew why Liam had saved her it wasn't because he saw that she was a fighter or that she was strong and brave, no it was because she was a pretty young girl who happened to need saving. 

It always disgusted him the things he did to Vanessa taking advantage of her and not just sexually. Vanessa had even once had Liam's child but Liam had her send it away once it was born which was the only thing that they both agreed was right. Vanessa did get to meet her son she'd visit whenever she could she always found time for it much to Liam's disliking. 

Ben had to step up and had to talk to Liam which always ended the same way it ends with him saying "This is my gang I can do whatever I please if you want to be in charge then leave and get your own gang"

"Hey Ben, do you think she's alright?" Jacob suddenly asked, Ben knew he had feelings for her but Vanessa couldn't love him back not that Vanessa would he wasn't her type he knew because she had once told him.

"Vanessa? Of course, she is, she is smart and strong"

"but Liam's so close to finding her"

"I doubt that, all he's found is tracks and a few of the old stuff she dumbed" he wasn't close Vanessa dumbed that stuff to send him the wrong way. she dumped a few of her clothing and old guns south but she was really going north up to the mountains it was genius of her it gave her more time to escape.

"but -"

"No, she's fine stop worrying" The truth was he had his doubts she was fine too he knew Vanessa too well she was a magnet for trouble. Vanessa often was reckless but she knew not the cross the line between reckless and stupidity.

Liam began making his way over towards Ben and Jacob. staring them down like an animal assessing its prey. Liam was very animal like believing hes some dominant alpha. He was just as ruthless as a hyena and just as dangerous as a one. 

"where is she?" Liam's harsh voice hissed this time not towards Jacob but toward Ben. "don't know, what makes you think she would tell me" Ben quickly responded defending himself.

"well you were always the one to say we should let her go" 

"where are you going with this?"

"you're the one who made her run off"

"no. I think that was you" Ben didn't mean for those words to slip out of his mouth but he meant them it was true. 

Jacob stared at Ben with wide eyes begging him to stop. "boss, I talked to her the night she left, she didn't tell me where she was going she just said she wanted to run off"

What was he doing? Is he trying to get himself killed?

Liam's face was full of anger his fist clenched "And you didn't think to tell me!" he roared, rage coursing through his veins.

"I wanted her to run away. so you couldn't hurt her anymore!" Jacob stood up from his seat he no longer recognised Jacob he had never seen him stick up for people or himself usually he would cower in a corner.

A bullet rang out.

Jacobs's lifeless body fell. Ben could say or do nothing.

The next chapter will be back on to Vanessa, sorry that this chapter is a bit different but I wanted to introduce Liam's gang and how the members who were friends with Vanessa felt about her leaving. 

Liam's gang members include 

Liam (of Couse) / Aiden ( Liam's new right-hand man) / Ben / Jacob (rip) / Leo / Eric / Francis