Chapter 15 - Tall Tales

Sam was sitting on the couch looking through books; he rubbed his face tiredly. Dean was sitting up on the bed behind him, listening to the radio and eating something messy from a disposable plate with me under his other arm. I was working on some books for research.

"Dude. You mind not eating those on my bed?" Sam asked.

"No, I don't mind." Dean said and he ate another. I rolled my eyes at Dean. "How's research going?"

"You know how it's going? Slow. You know how it would go a heck of a lot faster? If I had my computer." Sam said. Dean nodded sarcastically.

"Hmm." Dean said.

"Oh dear god, do not start fighting again or I will lock you both in a small room and wait till you figure out your issues." I said.

"Can you turn that down please?" Sam asked, referring to the music Dean was listening to.

"Yeah, absolutely." Dean said. He took his arm that was on my shoulders and turned the music up louder. I turned and glared at him.

"You know what? Maybe, uh, maybe you two should just go somewhere for a while." Sam said.

"Hey, I'm working, so don't you snap at me." I said. Dean shut off the radio and looked up, snappish.

"Hey, I'd love to. That's a great idea. Unfortunately, my car's all screwed to hell." Dean said.

"Dean, I told you, I have nothing to do with-" Sam said and he was cut off by a loud knock on the door. He stood and went to the door; he looked through the peephole and then back at Dean and I, then opened the door. Outside was Bobby.

"Hey, Bobby." Sam said. Bobby entered, hands in his pockets.

"Boys. Ali." Bobby said and I smiled at him. Dean and I stood up and approached.

"Hey, Bobby." Dean said.

"It's good to see you again so soon." Bobby said.

"Yeah, thanks for coming. Come on in." Sam said. Dean shook Bobby's hand firmly.

"Thank god you're here." Dean said.

"So um, what didn't you want to talk to me on the phone about?" Bobby asked.

"It's this job we're working. We weren't sure you'd believe us." I said.

"Well, I can believe a lot." Bobby said.

"Yeah, no, no, it's just, we've never seen anything like it..." I said and Dean cut in.

"Not even close—" Dean said.

"And we thought we could use some fresh eyes." Sam said.

"Well, why don't you begin at the beginning?" Bobby asked.

"Yeah, um, all right." Sam said and gestured to the bed; Bobby picked up the empty takeout tray and peered at it, set it aside, and sat down.

"So, it all started when we caught wind of an obit. See, a professor took a nosedive from a fourth story window, only there's a campus legend that the building's haunted. So we pretexted as reporters from the local paper." Sam said.

Dean took three purple nurples. I was standing near him. Sam approached.

"Dean. Dean, what are you drinking?" Sam asked. Dean burped. I gave him a disgusted face.

"I don't know, man, I think they're called purple nurples?" Dean said.

"Okay, well listen. I think maybe we should go check out the professor's office." Sam said.