Searching for Earth and Snow

Could these walls come crumbling down?

I want to feel my feet on the ground

And leave behind this prison we share

Step into the open air

(Into The Open Air - Julie Fowlis)

Drogon knew he needed to find his brothers, but his mother was tired so he let her sleep for a time. It was during that time that he was finally able to think about what had possibly happened to lead them to this place. He didn't remember much from the flight before, but he did remember a storm, heavy in rain and wind. At one point he was worried his mother would fall off his back and he would have to attempt to snatch her in his claws when he himself could barely see, but she held fast and stayed on. His chest swelled with pride for her, his strong mother.

But something was wrong, he couldn't remember how they came to be in that storm, couldn't remember flying into it or anything that came before. That wasn't normal, he usually had a very good memory, or at least that's what he felt he knew.

What was more worrying was that he didn't remember seeing his brothers. He heard them though. Remembering hearing the roars they let out that spoke of confusion and fear sent a bolt of protectiveness through Drogon's scaled chest even though he was the youngest among them, making him a bit more antsy by the moment. He kept swiveling his head around, looking for invisible threats, as well as any sign of his brothers, even though he knew it was hopeless for now. He had tried to reach out for them when he had first woken up but there was no trace of them there either, they were too far apart to communicate like that. This was endlessly frustrating to him, especially since that was still the case, even with a full day's flight under his belt.

Still, he kept guard over his mother while she slept. He would need to hunt soon but she apparently needed more rest. He didn't truly understand why she needed to sleep so much, she had been sleeping for a full day before she woke up when they were in the forest. The realization that Drogon didn't understand a lot of things made him so frustrated that smoke started curling from his snout and his chest started to warm with the telltale sign of fire.

As if sensing his roiling feelings, his mother shifted in her slumber. He took notice immediately and started to slowly curl around the rock that cradled her, feeling more at ease now that he was closer to her and could therefore better protect her if something were to happen. It seemed to put her at ease as well as she settled in and turned her head to face him. He could feel through their bond that she was easing from the dark turn that her dream must have taken. He wondered if she was dreaming about where they had come from.

Drogon knew he would do almost anything for her, his mother, the one who raised him and his brothers, who kept them safe, and protected them until they could protect themselves as well as her. She didn't have any wings, but it didn't matter because he would let her borrow his, they could be free together.

~~~~~~~~~~~

When Daenerys opened her eyes, the sun was setting beyond the horizon and turning the sky a myriad of brilliant oranges, pinks, and purples. She felt the huff of Drogon's breath behind her and smiled softly to herself. How lucky she was to have him with her, she didn't even want to imagine what she would have to face if he wasn't there. She was lucky, yes, but she would be complete with Viserion and Rhaegal by her side as well.

So, with great effort, she heaved herself up, dressed herself in her sun-dried clothes, and was going about cupping water in her hands to drink when she felt a suddenly strong wind beat at her back. She spun around just in time to see Drogon take off. She felt her hair blow back and had to shield her face as a cloud of dirt, leaves and grass blew around her.