𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟔

Adonis

I've been by his sides for fifty six years.

I've loved him for forty of them.

From the lusting gazes all the women in this room have thrown at him from the moment he appeared between the shadows, I know for a fact I'm not the only one mesmerised by his unearthly handsome features. The arrogance at which he carries himself with works like magic on me, and I can't help but smile when I see him entering the ballroom. We're only in the early hours of the party, and yet he looks about done with it already.

"Adonis, did you hear a word I said?" I turn my head to see an annoyed Liam, his eyes hardening once he sees where, or who, my attention was directed to. Silently begging that he's not going to start another argument, when he's the last one to have a say when it comes to holding on to impossible love. He may be my brother by heart, but Candice is too good of a woman to be used in the ways he does. But that's a conversation he's not ready for.

"Sorry, can you say that again?" At my question, he lets out a loud breath and I notice Damien shaking his head dejectedly, his eyes judging.

What's his problem?

I never know what the deal is with this guy. He's one of the new recruits who came in from our camps in the South of Dynastra, and everyone likes him. Eliza, the most stuck up bad-shit crazy woman I've ever met, who always treats me like I'm one who needs to be supervised when we all know that she can't be left alone with a sword for a minute before she stabs someone, befriended him within a week. Dameon let him touch the crown after a month of him being High Warrior.

A fucking month.

When I had to wait literal years to put it on my head for mere seconds. Even Father treats him better than he treats me. The pat on the shoulder. The acknowledgment. The proud smile. He gets all of it. And I get none.

All of that because I chose politics over sweating in a tight armour while swinging a sword all day. It's not even that I gave up on my training, I just focus my life around knowledge rather than death.

Whatever, at least I can keep my dick in my pants and don't visit the whorehouse every other day.

"I said that we did a sweep of the place and didn't find anything," Liam repeats slowly.

"Nothing at all? Not even in the Lords bureau?"

"Nope," Eliza shrugs, finishing what I think is her third glass since we came.

"You forgot the dungeons," his husky voice speaks from next to me, and I jump in surprise as he manages, like always, to sneak up on us. It's as if he appears from nowhere. Slowly, I direct my gaze to him, astonished by the wonders of magic when his smooth beige skin appears in my line of sight. 

The messy way in which his smooth black hair falls over his pierced ears makes him look wild, and I crave for the day where I can finally comb my fingers through it. 

Pulling at its roots when I drown in the ecstasy I know he can give me. The only aspect I wish he wouldn't change about his inhumane appearance are his tattoos inking his neck down to his arms and chest. Gods, have I imagined too many times to count my fingers tracing the lines of them as he fucks me like no man has ever been able to.

"Did you succeed?" It takes me a moment to realise that his deep ocean eyes are on me, and I want to kick Liam in the balls for chuckling when an obvious blush spreads over my cheeks, down to my neck.

"Y-yes I did, Your Highness," I although I'm not quite sure why he wanted me to find the identity of the Cat-Eye Lord's younger brother. From his records, he's nothing more but a scum that keeps a harem of young women locked up in his second home, near the border of Cat-Eye and Cold Blood. A couple of scams here and there, nothing worthy of the King's attention though.