⟬Prologue⟭

Don't Let Them Break You

——————————

Warm hands gripped tear-streaked cheeks, a caressing thumb smearing a streak of red. "Promise me you won't lose sight of what's important. You don't let them in, you don't let them use you. . . you don't let them make a bitter monster out of you, okay? Because, you, starlight, you are better than them." 

——————————

"ANDY!! Andy! No, stop!"

The hands around her neck cutting off her airflow trembled as the monster below her fought for his next breath. Her fearful, angry screams drowned out his agonized gasps as she stole the oxygen from his lungs, watching with tearful, bloodshot eyes as his chest cavity sunk in. The bronze cuffs hung loose from her wrists, sputtering uselessly as the body beneath her convulsed. In her mind, she could almost see his lungs collapsing as his lips turned blue.  

"Andromeda! No!" Hands seized her by the waist and pulled her from the still body of the boy. Her screams echoed off the far walls of the Underworld as she was held facing away from what she had done. Sobs wracked her body as she clutched Percy, muffling her cries in his shoulder. Annabeth leaned against her back, a hand on her arm to reassure her she was there. She could hear the blonde sniffling. Andromeda lifted her head from Percy's shoulder, face worryingly pale as the bruises of hands darkened around her throat. 

"I'm sorry, I-I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to," she gasped, "I didn't mean to kill him. I didn't, I was just—I just wanted him to stop. I—" An anguished cry left her lips as she fell back into the boy's arms, trembling when her body began to ache.

——————————