Michael x Reader x Lucifer

When the lights began to flicker, you knew something was coming.

Unfortunately, there was little you could do to prevent their arrival. As the white light swept through your hotel room, you did the only logical thing - cover both eyes with your hands.

Vessel or no vessel, they still liked to arrive dramatic as ever.

You only opened them again after the powerful flapping of wings and the subsequent quietness that followed.

"Hello," you greeted neutrally, studying the duo from the couch.

The dark haired vessel approached first, alerting you that it was probably Michael.

"Y/N."

You smiled politely, but couldn't quite contain all the sadness.

"That's not my name anymore."

"You are human now," the dirty-blonde man observed.

"Yes. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I just want to be left alone and-."

"You fled from us, fell to live among the humans, and purposely kept yourself hidden - thought to be dead - in hopes we would not find you," Michael interrupted, voice soft but commanding, "there is no outcome tonight in which we will be leaving you alone."

Ever the blunt one, you thought dryly.

"You chose the humans over us," Lucifer accused.

"Over you?" you repeated in disbelief. "Is that how you've interpreted my actions in your head? How typical. Never taking the blame for anything."

"Y/N-."

"No, you listen," you continued, meeting his blue eyes unflinchingly, "I was happy with you both. Content. Leaving your sides was unthinkable. But then, you two couldn't come to an agreement over the littlest thing. There was constant fighting and bloodshed. You killed our brothers and sisters who tried to help you. You both threatened to destroy me with your armies if I didn't choose a side. The moment I realized my life meant so little to you two conceited asswipes that you'd be willing to smite me despite all the previous eons of love and serenity we shared between us, was the moment I realized falling to live among the humans was a hell of a better choice than being a casualty over your damn pissing contest."

They were taken aback by your hostility and in a way, you really couldn't blame them. As an angel, you'd been nothing but compassionate and auspicious.

Perhaps to a fault. Maybe if you would have done more-

No. They'd been so radically inclined to believe they were each right. Nothing you could have said would have tweaked their mindset.

"Those threats were not said in our greatest moment," Michael admitted, having the decency to look mildly ashamed. "If it's any consolation, I never meant them."

"And if you would have chosen Michael," Lucifer chimed in, "I'd have stolen you way."

"That's comforting," came your mumble.

"But that violence is behind us now. It has been upon learning you were alive," Michael declared.

"And now, it is time we punish you for leaving us."

At the seriousness on Lucifer's face, you couldn't help but chuckle, mouth parted in amazement.

"Really? You're going to punish me for leaving you? I make the decision to save my life and you're going to hurt me for it?"

"Your place has always been and always will be with us," Michael explained, nearing you. "Living among humans has mistakenly convinced you free will cancels out ownership."