It's Not Enough

Today is not a fairytale. It hasn't been for months. I kept wishing for a good outcome but alas it just seemed to incite the opposite results.

"Will you shut up for a second? I'm trying to sleep," my voice hoarse after a day worth of bad customers and an even worse roommate.

"You know, maybe you could help me and then I'll shut up, Dee," came the response of my friend Lisa.

Irritating.

"Ugh," hopping off of the small bed we have in this matchbox-sized room, I quickly pulled the clothes that she held in her arms.

"This will do. The red matches your hair," I said without much contemplation as she gazed at me.

"Don't you think it'll be too much red?" she asked. Her head cocked to the side as if doubting my "fashion advice" will do her any good.

"Nope. Besides, it compliments your green eyes," my answer came immediately.

She went into our shared bathroom to change her clothes. I went back to the bed and lay down on it.

"It does look good, Dee!" her voice exclaimed from inside of the bathroom.

"Fantastic!" I shouted back at her. Now, if I could just rest for fifteen minutes...

"Hey, you don't wanna come?" Lisa appeared at the foot of the bed, already in her sexy red gown.

"Nope." Easy.

"Hmmm..."

I heard her strutting through the apartment. Maybe she's wearing her new pumps that she bought at that shopping avenue.

"Alright, I'm going!"

I sighed. Finally.

Twenty minutes later, I was already up and preparing for my second job. Dancing.

"Where the hell is my...ah! There you are," as I lifted my bag, I peeked again inside. Good, everything's here.

"Let's roll, then," how I wished tonight won't be any worse than today.

An hour into the first half of the evening, I already felt excitement buzzing through my body. Dancing has always been my life. It's not an escape; my life shall never be defined by struggles of commoners.

"Ready, doll?" I heard Bella's voice coming closer. They've been managing the club for over two years now. I'm a good friend of theirs who was thankful for all of their guidance.

"Anytime, Bel," came my response.

"Remember, darling, someone violates the rule means that they've violated you. Don't be afraid to give them your piece of mind, alright?"

"Of course!"

My time.

"Here you go,"

I heard cheers becoming louder. They're for me. I know that's true.

"Dion! Dion!" I smiled.