The Sorcerers

Hi there! This is Dreamy Jess, writing one of her rare header author's notes!

Normally, I opt for footer A/N, for it allows you a better experience with your read. However, after realizing how... heavy the theme I gave MCA is, I must give you a heads-up.

Mentions of death and discrimination are constant. It might even get heavier in the future before things get better for Momo. This is not my usual writing trope, of course - I prefer light angst and light-hearted fun adventures - but at the same time, I'm kinda excited that I'm steering Momo's backstory toward a different direction from Lucky's.

Anyway, enjoy your read~!

~

"Momo! What's the matter?"

Momo didn't even have the strength to answer. It was as if she was suddenly drained, as if she had been running purely on adrenaline in a long, long dream and now that she had been disillusioned, it all shattered and left her battered down, desperately clinging onto the hope that she was simply entering a nightmare instead of leaving a beautiful dream. A false hope, for all it could be, but her frantic mind couldn't distinguish reality anymore.

She just lay there, motionless and out of breath, for a while too long. She saw a ghostly paw with a green hue - probably Olive's - reaching out to pat her ear comfortingly, yet this time, she felt too numb to even appreciate it. The small ghost cat frowned, dropping the piece of fish bone that she had brought along unto death and sending a desperate look to Kelly. The ghostly form of a blue-blubber jellyfish nodded and floated down the unlit hall, sending radio signals to other ghosts in the mansion.

"Hey, it's alright," Olive landed on the ground next to the crouched-down black cat and tried - keyword tried - to nuzzle her comfortingly, but then settled on meowing nonsense instead. At the time of her death, the green ghost was just a kitten, yet darkness had enclosed her before she even had the chance to see the world in its full glory. When she first woke up in this ghostly body, she was startled and scared out of her mind, but Kelly, Jade, and other ghostly beings were there to calm her down. They had then offered her the chance to proceed to the Beyond, to which she had refused due to a sudden wave of inexplicable motivation.

You will be confined within this building. They had warned her. We are not ghosts - not the ghosts you know of. They wander free, but they harbor ill intents. We are ghouls, confined, but simply wishing to enjoy afterlife, waiting for our Savior, the one who will correct the Gateway of the Two Realms. Will you be able to wait? The Savior might never come.

Olive the Green Ghoul of back then had been unable to give a proper answer - she still was, but that was where the only true ghost in the Ghost House, who went by "Muffin", stepped in: I see you find a point in hanging onto this world. Welcome aboard, Olive.

She began to spend her afterlife at the Ghost House just like that. Now, even though she might not look like it, her age would be counted to a hundred soon. Olive couldn't fathom how long it had been for other ghouls in their wait. Would they lose their patience? Hopefully not. She loved her fellow ghouls. It would be a pity if they started to leave. Besides, her intuition told her that soon, the Savior would come. She'd had that feeling for a couple of years now. 'Soon' might indicate a longer span of time than she had expected, but a cat's intuition was never wrong.

"It's alright, little Savior. We will keep you safe."

The static pulsing in the air alerted Olive of the other ghouls' arrival. Muffin was in a raging fury.

"Before you say anything, be gentle with your words," Jade warned, "A raging fit is all but comforting."

Muffin gave him a glare but slowed down nonetheless.