Cygnus

Tw- stillborn

Elena POV

I looked down at the baby boy in my arms as dried tears stained my face, he was beautiful, I wonder if he sister would be too.
He looked up at me with such beautiful eyes, sapphire blue.

I looked to my right to the crib next to me, my baby girl, laid motionless inside.

I pulled my boy closer to me, according to the midwives, it was lucky that he had survived.
Gently kissing his head, I rocked back and fourth gently kissing his soft head as his tiny hands curled around my hair.

"What will his name be your grace?" I hear Sadie ask carefully, as if I might shall like broken glass.

"Cygnus" I say, holding him close, scared that if I let go he might disappear from my arms

A silence passed

"And the girl?..."

I felt numb, numb and I instinct to protect the baby in my arms

"Must I name her?" i heard my own voice break "I will never get to raise her"

Sadie gave a sad sigh
"Your grace-"

I cut her off, she would only try convince me, it left a bitter taste in my mouth, I knew why they wanted me to name her.

It was for her grave.

A bitter taste and a numb heart.

"Astoria."

She gave a quick curtesy before they pulled the crib out of the room and I watched it go...
I never even got to hold her...

Charles walked in slowly as the crib was taken, he gently sat down on the bed.
His face was stained with pain and sorrow.

"May I hold him?" He ask quietly

"No." I responded bluntly
It wasn't anything to offend him, I just couldn't let go, my baby boy could have died, my baby girl did.
No one would touch him.
I just need to hold him.

Charles understood, moving closer, kissing my head.

"Have you named him?"

"Cygnus."

"A strong name" he gave me a sad smile

A strong name for a fragile babe.
__________________________

Narrator POV

Elena hadn't left her room for days now, she hadn't left her baby for days.
She barley put him down.
Elena would not leave so Charles would not leave ether.

She had received letters of condolences from lots of people,
Anne of Cleves, the Seymour brothers, Henry, her niece and even, surprisingly to Elena, the lady Mary.

Today was the day she'd leave her chambers to the banquet being held in the main hall.
Henry had married Catherine Howard and planned to show her off to the court today.

The Duke and Duchess of Suffolk and Hastings were wanted there.

Elena was all dressed up standing over the crib, looking down at her baby boy.
He was small babe, she was worried that when leaving she might come back and he might be dead.

"He'll be fine, my love" Charles wrapped his hands around her waste from behind "Bookworm, look at me" he gently demanded as she turned her face towards him "He'll be fine."
He kissed her gently as his lead her out of the room with his hand on the small of her back, giving her the occasional kiss on her hand, lips or head to give her comfort.
Charles would not let Elena break.
She had mended his wounds, now he would mend hers.
__________________________