Chapter 3

Koda
As I was working on the pizza dough for dinner I kept sneaking looks at her where she sat at the kitchen counter doing her homework. Her long golden hair was up in a messy bun and a few strands of her hair had escaped the bun during the day and were now hanging freely around her face and neck. She was so absorbed in what she was doing she didn't notice me looking at her. Her brows furrowed and her nose scrunched up in the most adorable way as she read something she didn't quite get in her homework.
"Are you getting everything?" I asked her and her big beautiful green eyes looked up at me. I had always found her eyes beautiful. Even when we were children.
"I told you that I do," she said back with a small smile. I put the dough to the side and started chopping the toppings instead. I always felt at peace when cooking.
"I know, but your brother would kill me if he knew I could have helped you and didn't" I said back to her. She was back to looking into her homework.
"Yeah, he would," she said back in a nonchalant manner. "Speaking of my brother, when will he quit work today?"
"At 11," I said back to her and stopped chopping to look at the clock. "So, in like 5 hours."
"Great, I get your food all to myself," she said and I could feel my heart jump a little. Making food for Gracie and Adrian had been my mission since I learned how to cook. Maria, their housemaid back home, didn't mind when I cooked. Hell, she even taught me.
"You're only after my food, aren't you?" I said back with a seductive smile. She still wasn't looking at me but I made it a point to look at her. She would look up soon enough.
"Yeah, well, what else is there?" she asked me as she looked up from her books only to look right into my eyes. I was still smiling at her. For a second she studied me before a flirtatious smile graced her beautiful lips. God, I had been thinking of kissing them for years.
"Ah, you wound me," I said back as I grabbed my chest playfully. Before she could answer me I went back to cooking. I knew she would answer me sooner or later anyway.
"Yeah, well," was all she said before she went back to her homework. We were quiet from there on. I was cooking, humming to myself. A habit I had started with Maria and never been able to let go of. When the pizza was done I put some on a plate and I went around the counter and put it next to Gracie.
"Your food, Milady," I said teasingly with a smile at her and sat down next to her.
"Thanks," she said as she took a bite from the pizza. She closed her eyes and moaned as she ate it. I couldn't help but smile at her. This was my reward for cooking for her. That sound.
"That good, huh?" I asked her. She nodded and I continued. "Can't wait to hear you make that sound because of me and not my food."
She almost choked on the food. I had to muffle a laugh. Even if the words might be true I loved teasing her. The best part was when I got her when her guard was down like right now.
"I would like to see you try," she said as she swallowed. She leaned into me a little and I did the same. Her lips were glistening from the pizza and I wanted to run my fingers over them. No, scratch that, I wanted to run my tongue over them.
"Are you challenging me Atkins?" I asked her with a big smile. I had to stop having these thoughts about her. She didn't feel the same for me. If she did something would have happened by now but I still loved playing with her. So stopping was hard.
"No, would you like me to Samuels?" she said and bit her lip. I wasn't sure she knew she was doing it but it was sending signals to my dick and I needed to get away from her before I kissed her so I leaned away from her. For a second I thought she almost looked disappointed before she went back to her pizza.
That was when her brother and my best friend as long as I could remember walked through the door.
"It smells heavenly in here," he shouted, making himself known like he always did as he entered the house.
"Yeah, well, you don't have to shout," I said back as Adrian walked into the room looking like the rain had gotten the better of him. His brown hair was hanging in his eyes and he reminded me of a wet cat. Gracie stood up and stopped him from coming any further into the room.
"No, you are taking a shower and changing clothes before you eat, I will not have water all over my floor," she said and pushed his chest to go. It was funny to look at. Both Adrian and I towered over Gracie in height but she was as feisty as they came and I had seen her giving both me and Adrian what we deserved more than once as we grew up. Once when we were 19 she had given us a real earful on how to treat women after she had walked in on her brother and some girl the day before only to learn the day she screamed at us that Adrian barely remembered the girls name.
"Sure thing sis," Adrian said and left the room. He was back in five minutes in a new set of clothes and his hair was a bit more dry. He made his way to the food before any of us had time to react and took a bite from it growling in appreciation as he did.
"Koda, man, you need to open your own place," he said and I made a face at him. He knew that was the plan.
"Yeah, when your loan on the studio disappears," I said and Adrian gave me a look before he continued eating.
"Man, you can open up in the back of the studio, give it to my customers," Adrian said as I shook my head and held up my hand for him to stop.
"No thanks," I said shortly.
"Why?" Adrian asked with a hurt look. I knew my best friend well enough to know when he was playing me. This was one of those moments.
"You know why," I said back, giving him a sweet smile that I knew would tick him off a little.
"You should open up your own place tho," Gracie's voice cut in. Her voice echoed in my head and I lost whatever she said next as she started to pack up her stuff and move to the stairs. I came out of my bubble in time to hear the Atkins siblings decided not to go home over the weekend. Thank god. I dreaded going home. If it was up to me we would never go back there but even if Adrian and Gracie's home situation might be bad it wasn't half as bad as mine. I didn't want them to not see their parents because of me. Even if that meant that I had to see my fucked up mother.
As Gracie made her way up the stairs I found myself staring after her. Adrian shoved my shoulder.
"Stop drooling over my sister," he said in a playful manner. Adrian had since long figured out my feelings for his sister and even if he hadn't been okay with them to begin with he had now come to terms with it.
"Never," I said back with a smirk that made Adrian growl in annoyance at me.