Chapter 8

Flashback:

Mullai: Hello, Reception?

Reception: Yes, Ma'am.

M: Um, is Mr. Kathir downstairs? I mean, avar roomla illa..lounge or bar la irukara?

Reception: No Ma'am, he is not here. Maybe innoru suite la iruparu nu ninaikuren mam

M: Innoru suite ah? rendu suite dana book panni irukanga..3rd suite book aagi irukka?

Reception: Yes, Ma'am, two honeymoon suites and a normal suite..Suite number 103.

M: Thanks

She ended the call and, with a heavy bridal dress lifting, made her way to Suite 103. Each step seemed to carry the weight of uncertainty and apprehension as she navigated the hallways of the luxurious hotel, adorned in her bridal attire.

The hem of her blue silk saree whispered along the marble staircase. She paused on the staircase, her eyes closing of their own volition while her hand clutched the banister for support. 

This wasn't right.

She closed her eyes, unwilling to listen to that tiny voice in her head that insisted on reminding her of that fact.

As she climbed, her misgivings threatened to return, causing her footsteps to falter. Why was she allowing herself to do this, to believe, to dream? 

She took a deep breath, and reminded herself that she wasn't doing anything permanent or irrevocable.

Not yet, at least.

All she was doing was giving them, and him, a chance...

A chance to see where this thing between them could go, if they didn't allow that 'other thing' to interfere.

Yes, that was all she was doing. There was no need to panic, really.

She walked quickly, until finally she was standing at the top of the flight of stairs, staring down the dimly-lit corridor at the double doors in the distance.

As she started towards those doors and the tinkling sound of her anklets and bangles filled the hallway, she suddenly realized that her heart was pounding again.

But why?

There was no reason, none at all. IS THERE??

She walked further down the corridor towards the sliver of light spilling from the half-open door. Her palms were sweating with a strange mixture of apprehension and anticipation as she entered through the door. 

Within a step inside the suite, she suddenly stumbled over something, and she managed to stop herself from falling only by holding on to the edge of the door itself. 

As she righted herself, her eyes automatically went to the object below her feet. Her heart, which had been racing like a runaway train, now stilled completely. Even in the dim light, she could clearly see what the object was. It was a silk white coat. His coat. The same coat that had graced his broad shoulders just a few hours back. 

Confused, she bent slightly and picked it up, then straightened to find that her other hand still clutched at the half-open door like a lifeline.

She loosened her grip, the pushed the door open a little and started walking inside before suddenly realizing that she should have knocked before entering.

The incident with the coat had muddled her mind, there could be no other explanation for this lapse.

She took a step back and knocked on the carved wood, then waited for a moment before trying again. But there was no response. She really didn't know what she was supposed to do now. Bracing herself, she took a deep breath, and entered the room.