Chapter 4*

During my walk back, I remembered what Papyrus briefly mentioned when I woke up in this body. Something about Sans on the verge of dying? Falling down I think he called it?

    - I have to look into stuff about souls in the Lab later

That day though, Papyrus seemed so relieved that he cried happy tears and hugged me tightly.

I smiled at the first memory I created in this world. It seems so far back now that I think about it.

I miss those peaceful times where I didn't have to worry about when a RESET might happen, or how long each one will last.

I remembered the troubles I had to go through in the last RESET. Pretending to be the laid back Sans the whole time and hiding my track of tears for 20 years because the demon chose to go on a peaceful run. I would try to remember if it didn't give me a migraine each time.

I passed the big waterfalls and took the back route to shorten my walk time. There was a family of echo flowers lined up together right at the border of Snowdin and Waterfall.

*The calm glows of echo flowers silently fills you with determination.

Huffing at the message, I dismissed it with a wave and continued with my task.

Trying to find food in Snowdin was like trying to find snow. It was mostly everywhere. Grillby's, Nice cream cart stand, my house. Because I don't have to pay, I get all the good food of my choice for free. This is the life, heh.

After all the food was packed and checked thrice, I walked back to the entrance to the Waterfall. This time, taking the route the kid would have taken if it were the original.

I walked through the dim light with my hands in my pockets, lightly holding my dagger in the palm of my hands. My shoes tapped on the hard ground floor in a rhythmic echo making this one hundred times more dramatic.

But an enemy never came. All the Waterfall residents seem to have vanished into thin air. There were no water tracks or travel trails left, and footprints that Undyne usually leaves behind due to the weight of her armor were also nowhere to be seen.

Feeling frustrated by the let down of the built up tension, I hurried towards the Labs to not waste anymore time.

When I got there, the monsters in Hotland were weirdly easier to deal with, dying instantly with a slice to the body. Crumbling immediately under my attacks, only to leave a small pile of shiny dust.

I skipped to the door of the Labs uncaringly and swung the door open. The lights, to my surprise, were all shut down, with the rooms only light source being the natural light of the Underground.

With some effort in scouting the nearby walls for a light switch, I was successful, only for the lights to flicker out after a few seconds of my celebration.

Well that wasn't supposed to happen-

The Labs were charged with the direct energy of the CORE, so even when wires don't work, that should have powered up automatically as a backup source? Was the CORE acting up as I suspected? Then I had more reason to investigate whatever was happening. 

The room suddenly looks darker, as a mysterious wind blows through the marble corridors. I took a deep breath and forced myself to relax, as I stepped forwards into the shadows of the Labs.