Chapter Six

The next morning, as the ruckus of Brooklyn's streets filled the air, Patch expertly weaved through the crowd, slipping effortlessly between newsies and customers alike. She spent the day selling her newspapers on street corners and in alleys around the borough. Time passed slowly for her because she anticipated seeing her father at any moment.

Hidden beneath the protection of Spot Conlon and two loyal older newsies, Hawk and Sparrow, she felt a semblance of safety. Patch knew all too well the consequences of being caught, not just as a newsie, but as the forbidden daughter of the notorious prison warden. Florrie flashed in her mind. Getting distracted wouldn't be safe now, she told herself. There was no telling what would happen if Snyder caught her.

"Dewey smashes Spain's fleet!" Patch called into a busy crowd of people. Although not expected, it was a welcome headline for the newsies. The war with Spain was finally over and now, the newsies were reaping the benefits. Patch graciously gave out papers by the handful, blending in with the crowds surrounding her.

After getting more newspapers from the supply wagon, Patch saw Spot looking at something in the distance. He squinted his eyes, trying to focus on something coming.

"Is he here?" Patch called up, trying to only be loud enough for Spot to hear. She put the newspapers down, prepared to run immediately if needed.

"No," Spot called back, as the person he was watching came into view. "It's just Race."

Racetrack, who had been running, stopped and stood next to Patch. He tipped his hat off to her politely and ran up to the fire escape where Spot was standing. Boys, Patch thought to herself as she rolled her eyes.

She picked up the newspapers and continued on, knowing Hawk and Sparrow were around her. Spot would catch up later. She gave out more papers and came to a crossroads. Suddenly, she saw a familiar figure. A smirk was etched across the man's face as both made eye contact for the first time in years. It was her father.

Panic surged through Patch's veins, her mind racing for an escape plan. She let out a long whistle, letting the two newsies and Spot know about his presence. Sparrow and Hawk jumped out of the shadows and pulled out their slingshots, aiming for her father.

As Snyder was getting pelted with rocks, this gave her the opportunity to run. She turned around and ran down a narrow alley until she couldn't hear the commotion of the rocks and the crowd of people watching the newsies and her father. Slowly, she stopped to catch her breath. Her father was here. She gulped, thinking of what to do next. Where would she go? She had to get to the water tower!

Suddenly, she heard roaring footsteps behind her. The young girl turned abruptly, her eyes widening in shock as she locked gazes with her father and several cops. In that instant, everything slowed down. It felt as if time itself had paused, leaving Patch to face the cruel reality of her predicament.

"Pascale!" Snyder called out, his voice full of anger. Fear flickered across her face, and before Snyder could say another word, Patch took off, her feet pounding against the pavement. "Arrest that girl!"

The cops thundered behind her, as she weaved through endless alleyways. Surely Spot had to be somewhere around here, she thought to herself. She was losing speed, her legs growing weaker by the second. But she had to keep running.

Whistles blew from behind her as she kept going. Suddenly, she came to the end of a dark alley, the cops stopped as Snyder walked out from behind them,"I found you, you little fool!" Patch put up her fists ready to fight the bulls if she needed to. Spot would be here any second. Her father continued, "Did you really think you could hide from me forever? You're coming with me! Back to Manhattan, where you belong!"

Patch's eyes met his cold gaze. She couldn't let him win; she couldn't let him crush her newsies. "I'm not leaving Brooklyn, Father," she retorted, her voice wobbling but resolute.

A cruel smirk played across Snyder's lips. "Oh, my dear daughter, you have no choice in the matter. You will do as I say."

"I'm not leaving Brooklyn." She told him again, her father moving in closer, "why are you doing this?!"

Snyder's gaze hardened, "I know you've been harboring that fugitive - Francis Sullivan."

"He's not here. W-Why do you care so much about Francis?" Patch questioned, wishing now more than ever Spot would appear. Maybe he had been caught? No, she told herself, he was too tough to be beaten by cops.

"He's a nuisance to this city." He lowered his voice, so the cops wouldn't hear him, and met her eyes, "He knows more than he's letting on, Pascale. He must be taken back to the refuge."

"You don't need me, father," Patch told him, trying to hide her fear. "Francis wouldn't save me from that awful place. I made him promise to never see me again. Your plan won't work."

Snyder's voice grew cold as he spoke. "I know Sullivan better than you think, Pascale. He will try to rescue you if he knows you are there." He paused and motioned towards the cops, "Arrest her!"

Patch backed up slowly, praying that Spot would arrive or Hawk or Sparrow or anybody. Please, she prayed silently, as the cops drew closer.

"Spot! Hawk! Somebody help me!" She screamed as she tried pushing away the cops hands. Her hands flew wildly, trying to prevent the cuffs from going around her wrists, but it was futile. They bit into her wrists as the reality of her arrest sank in. Each officer seemed to emphasize the weight of her betrayal.

As Snyder watched his daughter being led away, his face hardened with a mix of determination. In his mind, she was nothing more than an accomplice, an accessory to Francis Sullivan's crimes. With one last piercing gaze, he turned and followed the officers, his mission to return Patch to the Refuge and finally catch Sullivan clear in his mind.