Chapter 1: The Girl in the Gray Sweater

The glistening night descends as the wind howls through the silence of the town. There doesn't seem to be anyone, or rather, anything inhabiting the ruined and pale streets. It was all silent...

But since when can silence be considered a sign of security...?

She couldn't have thought of that when she had to compact herself between the interior of the walls like a mouse peeking from the holes and scampering from the inside.

She was sweating from exhaustion and was panting from fear. She remained in a crouched position on the wooden floor as she breathed in a high effort, almost getting dust in her mouth as she inhaled. The space between the walls from the inside is very dark but not so cramped, but for anyone who has claustrophobia, it would be a strong sense of agitation that no one would want to bear.

not even Lu...

She could hear the vague ambiance of the inner walls. It made her feel anxious but not so much as fearful. It was so dark that she could not even see herself. She felt hopeless but still determined.

"I'm going to be alright. I need to believe in myself.... While I still can." But when it comes to determination, there is also desperation. Bravery can never be generated without the sensitivity of fear. Lu couldn't deny that her experience in this world had already been terrifying enough, and she couldn't ask for it to tone it down. That's just physically impossible. But the one detail she can't renounce is her bravery and determination.

She feels around her back pocket and takes out her flare. She pulls off the cap, using it to ignite a red flame from the stick, giving her visibility in the darkness. She has no clue why, but she always likes to see the glow of red as it feels like a wonderful color to embrace. It even felt so warm like a candle: But don't touch it or you'll burn yourself, of course.

But now is not the time to be thinking of it. She begins walking further where the interior of the walls leads. The sounds of her footsteps echo as her bare feet step and bonk on the dry floorboards. She pushes herself past through misaligned wooden beams to find her way out, carefully not getting the flame near the dry wood as Lu could risk setting a fire. Or that's what she thinks, considering that this is a dangerous tool she's wielding as her light source. Luckily, the young girl saw some light over a board that blocked her path within the space between two wooden beams.

She extinguishes her flare by tapping the burning end on the floor and stepping on the mark to prevent a growing fire. The young girl then climbs over the board, pulling herself up. She found a large mouse hole, big enough for her to fit through. She stood right in front of the hole, with the outdoor blue light managing to illuminate the makeshift entryway, indicating there must be a window from this room or hallway. It's very unclear.

But before exiting straight through, she needs to ensure that the coast is free from enormous threats. Or, whatever he was.

I'm a bit nervous, or more than a bit.... I... I don't know how I can even make it out.... But he'll get me if I stay here!

She was hesitant to even poke her head out as she feared something would pop out of nowhere and give her a hair-raising jumpscare. But it mustn't be all that bad, right? She then inserts her stick in her back pocket, again, still wondering if it's safe to come out.

"Just, one peak...And-"

Before Lu could even finish her sentence, a tiny mouse appeared out of nowhere and jumped right in front of the girl.

She let out a fearful gasp as she was startled, falling back on her rear end. She held her chest where her beating heart was, as the tiny mouse crawled into the hole, and they both locked eyes for a moment. After a few seconds, the little critter looked to its right and then scampered away, leaving her still shaken slightly from the startle.