Chapter 4 - I Don't Want Your Pity

The past week and a half as a servant for His Highness have been good so far. All I'm responsible for is fulfilling my duties throughout the day and occasionally run some errands. I'm usually done by 2:30 and get the rest of the afternoon to myself, which mostly consist of nap time. And on top of being pid every Friday, we get the weekends off, unless Dominic is having some sort of event. Overall, despite Dominic's rude deminer, working at the castle isn't bad at all. I've even thought about saving up for school, like Phoenix. A career in nursing doesn't sound too bad.

    Phoenix, Cleo, Lillina and I all sit around the marble top island in the kitchen, drinking cups of lemon tea. After a long and tiring day, we relax in sweats and T-shirts, our hair in messy buns and sloppy ponytails. We laugh and joke around with each other, talking about any and everything. I've never had real friends before, and the fact that we're all sitting here and laughing our lungs out slowly brings tears to my eyes. I haven't had a good day like this... ever.

    Cleo and Lilliana slowly turn their attention to me as Phoenix begins to notice my watering eyes. "Honey, what's wrong. Why're you crying?"

    I laugh lightly at her worried face and she gives me a questioning look.

    "Oh Lord. The girl's lost it," Cleo says, pressing her palms against her cheeks. Her dark brown eyes eye me in suspision, her eyebrows getting lost in her blonde bangs as she raises them in concern.

    I smile. "I'm not crazy, Cleo."

    "Then why're you crying?" Lilliana's child-like voice questions me. For someone who is only seventeen, Lilliana has the voice of a ten-year-old, and has the personality to match. I watch as her light brown eyes search my features, trying to find answers to my sudden change of emotion.

    "It's just... I've never really had times like these where I can relax with my friends and laugh," I say. "And for once in my life, I'm actually really happy. You guys are the best, and I couldn't ask for anything more. Thanks for just being my friends and showing me that people like me can actually be happy."

    I wipe my cheeks with the back of my hand as the three of them draw me into a warm and tight hug. "Anything for you, hun," Phoenix whispers in my ear.

    I watch as Lilliana pulls away and fans her eyes with her hands as they begin to tear up. "I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry..." she chants to herself.

    "You're such an emotional baby," Cleo sneers as she pulls away also.

    "And you're a pain in the ass," Lilliana shoots back.

    The first day I met the sisters, I quickly realized that they're always at each other's throats. I think it's because Cleo is the oldest, so she likes to mess with her baby sister. But I've also seen them stand up for each other. It makes me miss Nicholas and Nathaniel. I wonder if they're still in Rockford.

    "Excuse me ladies." Troy's voice echoes through the kitchen, forcing all of us to jump.

    "Hey, Troy," we all say in unison.

    He smiles. "Aerie, the king wants to speak with you."

    I choke on my beverage. Me? What does he want with me?

    "Me?" I question. "What did I do?"

    Troy shrugs. "He just wanted me to send for you. Didn't really put into much detail what he wanted you for."

    I glance over at the girls, all with confused looks on their faces.

    Looking back at Troy, I frown. "Hasn't he already called me enough names? I really don't want to talk with him."