December 2nd, Day Two (Saint)

SAINT

I watch Noelle walk with purpose away from me and towards the boy section. Her jeans hug her perfect ass and the scent of apples keeps me on her trail even when she dips behind a rack or takes a sharp turn between displays. I'm literally chasing this woman through the store with a huge smile on my face. It's embarrassing. Since when did Walmart get so exciting?

"It's not a race!" I tease.

"Anything is a race is you go fast enough," she answers back. It makes me laugh.

I turn the corner and suddenly she is standing there. Her long blonde hair hanging over some package in her hand. It stops me in my tracks. I watch her rub her lips together and I stand mesmerized at the end of the underwear aisle at Walmart. I'm losing it.

"Boxer or briefs?" she asks.

Huh? My brain cells feel like they are tripping over themselves to come up with an answer. It seems like an intimate question I wasn't quite ready to answer. Does she care? Will she make a judgement about me based on my preference. I look down, but it isn't necessary. I know I were boxer briefs.

"Um," I stumble.

"Boxers or briefs? What do you think boys wear now?" she asks.

"Oh, shit," I say relieved and cursing myself for being so dumb. "I don't know. I don't really study the underwear preferences of minors," I tell her.

"Well, you were once a boy before becoming..." she waves her hand up and down my body. Her eyes follow but then her cheek flush and she looks away.

"Boxer briefs. That's my preference. The others seem to ride up or not give support." I take the item she's holding and stick it back on the shelf. "No boy wants briefs, Noelle."

I move down the aisle and grab a pack of multicolored boxer briefs. Holding them up to her I say, "These will do."

She nods her head without a word and leaves again, but this time I stay close behind her. I'm not walking around this place alone with little boy underwear in my hands.

"He wants a toy," she says. She stares down the aisle full of toys, so many that they are spilling onto the floor.

"He likes cars," I remind her. Suddenly I'm a kid again. I head straight for the Hot Wheels. "Look!" I shout. I pull out an old mustang and hold it up for her like a kid begging their mom for a toy. "He'll love it. We have to get it." But then I second guess myself. What if he wants a truck? Or a red one? Maybe he'd want a cop car?

"Ten dollars," she whispers beside me.

"But Noelle," I argue.

"Move aside," she answers. "I haven't spent mine yet."

We leave the store with the bag of gifts swinging between us. It feels like a victory for me.

"Do you mind driving?" she asks.

I help her into the car and then run around and climb in on the other side. My heart is racing, but I'm not sure if it's from the excitement and nostalgia of toy shopping or if it's from hanging out with her. She guides me to the Boys and Girls Club.

"I'm sure they had a collection box at Walmart," I tell her has we pull into the run-down parking lot.

"Adventure," she says with jazz hands.

We walk inside and there's another tree there with more Angel cards. We check in at the counter which is relatively easy given they clearly know Noelle and she hands over the gift in the perfect little gift bag she had picked out. The lady behind the counter tapes Brayden's card to the bag and then motions us to go on inside.

Noelle seems at home here. She leads me to a room where kids are playing all sorts of games. There's even a basketball court set up in the corner. A few of the kids say hi to her and then quickly return to the games they were playing.

"I volunteer here sometimes," she says.

"Sweet," I say, but inside I feel terrible. I think about my collectables sitting in the basement at home. What a waste.

We stay for an hour, playing with the kids and helping clean up. I meet a young boy named Braylen and wonder what the odds are that he isn't our Angel. For the first time in a long time I feel...proud. I would have just spent the afternoon watching videos with my frat boys, but instead I met some cool kids and had a good time.

"I have to go to work now," she tells me.

"Didn't you work already," I ask. It's getting late in the day. It will be dark soon.

"Yes, but now it's time for my other job," she points out the window to the back lot of the building. Tall green trees lean against the fence and a beautifully bright string of lights hangs over them. It's a Christmas tree lot.

"You work at a Christmas tree lot? You really do live your life like a Hallmark movie," I tell her as we walk out to my car.

I hand her the gift I was so excited about this morning. I was sure I'd win today.

"Your roommate helped me with the sizing," I confess.

Noelle opens the box and finds a new pair of Vans inside. They don't seem like much now. I almost want to take them back and apologize.

"They're perfect!" she says. Her eyes are lit up and she's smiling ear to ear.

I had been there when they opened this morning, quick to throw about seventy dollars on the counter and leave with what I thought would get me the win. And although she seems thrilled, I have to admit she got me again.

"Next time," I tell her.

"You did good," she assures me. "I'm happy."

I don't know why those words light me up the way they just do, but I want this feeing to last forever. I want to make her happy all the time.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she says, switching into her new shoes and holding the old ones at her side.

"Sure thing," I tell her.

With a little wave, she heads back towards the entrance, dropping the old shoes into the donation box. They still had some miles left on them, I guess. And I wait until she's around the corner before going inside and taking every Angel off that tree. Walmart is open late, and I have a few things I want to grab. 

***Thanks for reading this new story! I'll be updating it as quickly as possible. Have you ever donated toys or other items for Christmas? Have you ever been the recipient?  I'd love to hear about it.***