014 ───── beautiful features

"YOU'VE BEEN HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT THEN APPEARED."
glue song - beabadoobee , clairo

CAROLINE bit her lip as she waited for Charlie to unlock the cart's door. This was it. The day she and everyone have been waiting for the past 6 months.

When the door opened, she was the first one in. She scanned the large group of teens and kids until she found two familiar faces. She let out a sigh of relief at the sight of her sister and best friend.

She ran up and brought them both into a bone-crushing hug.

"Caroline, I can't b-breath," Aris mumbled, causing her to pull away and apologize as tears pooled in her eyes before noticing the state of Aris, "Your face..."

He had a black eye with a busted lip. Like everyone else in the cart, he looked sick. She was going to kill the bastards who did this.

Before he could answer, Thomas came up from behind her and asked. "Hey, you guys okay?" They both nodded with Sonya replying with, "Yeah, we're fine."

When Harriet came up from behind them, she backed up and let the three reunite before searching the group of kids for any more familiar faces. She must've done so at least a hundred times before she came to a horrid conclusion.

Ada and Minho weren't here.

She turned to Thomas and Newt who came to the same realization and now hung their heads in disappointment and disbelief. She mumbled something before weaving her way through the kids. She then left the cart with two people on her mind.

"Hey."

The quiet greeting caused his lip to twitch up slightly before he returned the greeting. It was Caroline.

"They're so young," She whispered. They both watched as at least a dozen kids sat in front of Vince who was giving a speech. Thomas hummed in response as he looked down at her. The more he looked at her, the more he realized how beautiful her features were.

The sunlight projected onto her blonde hair, making it shine like the sunset. Her nose curved slightly at the end, making it look like a slope. Her eyes were warm and welcoming, giving the comfort a teddy bear would to a child.

Over the last three months, he had noticed the habits she had. The way every time she smiled or laughed her nose would crinkle slightly. Whenever she was nervous, she would rub her bottom lip with her thumb and index finger. Whenever she was trying not to cry, she would bite down on her bottom lip. Whenever she was lying, she would pinch her skin and whenever she was about to snap, she would tighten her hands into fists.

"Take a picture, it'll last longer."

The joke caused him to snap out of his trance. The corners of his lip twitched up slightly before he shook his head and turned back towards Vince and the group of kids. She patted his shoulder twice before she began to walk away.

"I'm gonna find Sonya and Aris."

He nodded as she turned the corner, disappearing from his sight.

Aris winced as Caroline dabbed a wet cloth onto his cuts, causing the girl to let out an apologetic wince. She clenched her jaw at the state of his face. How could they even think of doing this to kids?

"Why are you letting Caroline clean my cuts? She sucked at being a patcher," Aris asked Sonya with a hint of playfulness in his tone. Caroline let out an offended sound before saying, "Excuse you."

Sonya , Thomas , Newt and Brenda all chuckled in unison.

"Good thing Harriet made you a runner."

"Hey! I made myself a runner!"

"Yeah, thank god."

"Here, drink this," Harriet said, walking up to Sonya, her and Aris with two cups of water.

"Took you guys long enough to rescue us," Aris chuckled.

"It's good to see you too, bud," Thomas chuckled slightly before he asked, "So what happened?"

"I fought back. Tried to, anyway," Aris chuckled without joy, "You're lucky you found us at all. They had us on the move a lot."

"It felt like something big was happening," Sonya added.

"Any idea where they were heading?" Newt asked. Silence ruled until Aris broke it.

"All I know is....they kept talking about a city."

Everyone shared a look of shock.

"I didn't think there were any cities left," Harriet spoke up.

"That's because there aren't," Brenda chimed in, "None still standing, anyway."

"Okay, wait. What about Ada and Minho? Why weren't they on the train?" Caroline asked. Silence reigned as everyone waited for the two to respond.

"I'm sorry, Caroline. They were."

AUTHORS NOTE!!

hey guys!! new chapter! hope you enjoy this one, its a short one sorry!! and yes i know those arent the right lyrics!

xoxo elena !!