One

My day began as it always did. An abrupt awakening by the morning bells, sleepy chatter from my roommates and a cold breeze flooding in through the open windows.

As a trainee of the City Watch, my task was to keep the streets and its people safe from Elementals, Wielders and general trouble-makers. Well, not yet. By the end of my residency at the Academy, I would be a fully fledged Watch Officer. For now, I was building my experience through daily chores, training schedules and very minor excursions.

Whilst the life of a Watch Officer was restrictive, in a region permitting those with magic, it was never boring. Home to those forged of the Elements, those with the gift of wielding magic and your standard everyday folk, I hadn't seen a quiet day since starting my residency.

The bell peeled again as I reluctantly pulled myself out from my cocoon of blankets. As part of the Watch, it was pivotal that I stuck to the regime and made perfect time on all aspects of my day. After remaking the bed to match the standard, I picked up my folded uniform and headed to the bathroom, finding a spot between two new faces who had recently joined up. I didn't bother to introduce myself. With the amount of people constantly leaving and joining, there was no point in trying to make friends.

Whilst the Watch was a thriving organisation, many Officers dropped out due to the difficulty or left due to boredom once they were old enough or eligible for a new career. But, there were around half of us that weren't that lucky. We were sold to the Watch in exchange for the safety of our families who most likely bore the mark of magic. In my case, my younger sister and older brother were Wielders. It was my initiation into the Academy by my father that promised their security, and since his death, afforded them food and shelter as well.

As always, the bathroom was filling up fast, giving me just enough time to pull on my uniform and brush my teeth, taking in my tired appearance and trying to keep my eyes open. No matter how tired I was, I always struggled sleeping in a room of people - a fact that was evident by my worn-out features. My grey eyes looked withdrawn and empty sat above shallow, but apparent, eye bags, and my lightly freckled olive skin lacked the brightness of your average well-rested person. Chestnut coloured hair fell in waves ending between my chin and shoulders, and my long, straight nose crinkled in frustration as I tried to pin it at the back of my head.

The Watch was nothing if not strict about presentation. My uniform consisted of a fitted black long-sleeved shirt, dark grey cargos, black boots, a black beret and a utility vest adorned with the reflective Watch logo on the back. Simple and practical, the uniform had to be pristine and wrinkle-free during our time at the Academy. Any deviation could come with unwanted consequences or additional chores, and I definitely didn't want that.

After placing my pajamas at the end of the bed, I began to make my way to the canteen. The Academy was large, housing hundreds upon hundred of trainees, Officers and higher-ups, that each filed in and took their designated sears around the large circular tables. Shaking the fog of sleep from my body, I slid into the plastic chair with my name on the back, and shared a few lazy nods of acknowledgement with the members of my unit seated around me.

Charlie, my squad leader, slammed his fist on the table as the kitchen staff delivered us a hot plate of breakfast food. "Trainees," he began, nodding in thanks as his own food was set down. "Today I'll be taking Eve, Owen, and Michael out with me. The rest of you are to report to the yard for further endurance training. Understand?"

It was such a relief hearing my name, I'd been stuck on kitchen duty for the past few weeks and was itching to spend some time outside of the Academy. "Eve, I'm waiting for your confirmation." Annoyance laced his voice as a few of my squad mates let out a quiet snicker. "Yes sir," I said, "I'm sorry, I understand." His attention fixed back on the plate of food. "Good. I'll see you all outside in 20 minutes."

-

The frosted Spring air hit my face like a slap as I left the Academy toward my squad's meeting place. It had been a long time since my last field job, Trainees who had been sold into the Academy were often picked for indoor chores. They didn't want us running back to our families I guess.

As we lined up against the rough concrete wall, Charlie checked over our uniforms and handed us each a short plastic baton and a bottle of pepper spray. Trainees weren't sanctioned to carry weapons, and on a routine operation like this, we were extremely unlikely to use them.

I trailed behind the group as we made our way to the tall metal gates that separated the Academy from the rest of Ireion, our city. Surrounded by a smattering of dense trees, it was tough to get a glimpse of the outside world from within the Academy. But the dappled spring light created mesmerising patterns through the leaves, entracing me. Besides, I didn't particularly favour my squad mates, I'd much rather walk alone.

"What's the plan sir?" Asked one of them, Owen, I think. He was new, he'd only joined the Watch last week. He must have shown real potential to come on an outing so soon. As we reached the gate, Charlie's voice brought me back to the present and I found myself jogging to join the rest. "There's trouble in the Undercity, a few trespassers causing a scene. We're there to ask them to leave and dish out a warning. Remember the protocols and stick together, I'll be watching for mistakes."

The metal gate swung open and we continued to follow. Ignoring the stares of the locals as we passed, continuing on our way to find the disturbance. Whilst accepting the order the Watch provided for them, the locals had always kept their distance from us, shrinking up against the buildings as we walked by. It felt as if the Watch scared them.

After passing through the narrow streets, down flights of cobbled stairs and into dimly lit passageways, we'd reached the entrance to the Undercity. It was an area dedicated to the lower class, their own bustling streets and buildings sitting directly below the wealtheir Ireion. Marred by spouts of crime, poor hygiene and overpopulation, the Undercity had always housed danger.

I kept my hands close to my baton as we moved closer to the location - an abandoned holy building built on the very edge of the Undercity, looking down at the dark chasms below. Normally, the Undercity featured a warm light from magical sources within the walls, but here, there was nothing.

After forming a huddle near the side of the building, Charlie started dishing out the orders. "Michael," he said, turning to the trainee on my right, "you're with me. We'll head in from the front for confrontation whilst Eve and Owen breach through the back for support." He gave a nod in our direction, we both nodded back. "Now," he said, "this should be simple, but with the lack of light we'll have to move fast. Stay on your guard and do not use force unless I tell you to. Now go. We'll meet back here once we've finished the job."

Owen and I made our way around the back, using our hands to search for an entrance amongst the dark brick wall. After a few minutes of walking, Owen came to a stop in front of me. "Eve," he whispered, "I've found it." A gentle creak told me that he'd managed to open a door, and together we slipped through into one of the building's back rooms.

Lit by a singular wall sconce, the room was cold, damp and full of boxes and clutter. The floor was an uneven mosaic of tiles, although I could not make out the picture. The room held a stench of mould and rotting wood, and I found myself shivering and reaching to pull my beret further over my ears. "We have to keep going," Owen said, "I can hear them." Sure enough, the sound of Charlie's voice carried from a few rooms away. It sounded amicable. He was asking them to leave, and by the calmness of the voices in response, it seemed like they were agreeing.

We began making our way to a door on the other side of the room, our steps more confident knowing the mission was a success. As I followed behind, I noticed some shining pieces of gold scattered on the tile. Money doesn't come often to a trainee, so why shouldn't I take it? Quietly, so as not to alert Owen to my find, I bent to scoop up the coins, and then the ground collapsed beneath me.