The visit

Viaan stopped the car abruptly. It was just another five minutes ride to his destination , showed the Google map. He was coming to this part of Mumbai after a long time.It was a suburban area, thickly inhabited. Forget this part of Mumbai,  he was coming  to  Mumbai City  after a long gap of four years.

What was he doing ,visiting a dead friend's house four weeks after the death. How will he answer  when someone asks why he did not visit the brother like friend even once in the past four years ....when he was alive?  Even in his death bed or before cremation?? Why Viaan.. why?

Viaan leaned into the steering wheel. "No-one but you would know Bhai that I could not bear to see your lifeless body...my cheerful brother...purest soul who could turn any darkness to light...your laughter..your dramebaazi...your charm...I am not ready to believe that you don't exist in this world anymore"

Jigar ka thukda.. literally, thats what his friend needed..a liver transplant ...

'But bhai I was ready to give you my whole jigar...only if you had informed me of your ailment. I thought everything was perfect in your world except for some financial crisis which I tried to help but I never knew you had some health problems too'...Viaan muttered to himself.

'You may ask me then why I came now..when everything is over ...I came to save your dreams...your legacy....our Earthcon..but little did I know that there was nothing left to save...now I can only save your family..let me atleast do that Bhai...please give me the strength to face my worst fears..the one nightmare I always dreaded and tried to avoid".

He started his car again.

He rang the bell once and waited patiently at  the apartment door . Few minutes passed and then it was opened by an elderly woman whom he guessed to be a domestic help..both his friend and his wife did not have any close relatives.

The lady looked at him inquisitively
"Yes sir?"

'Woh..memsaab se milna tha"

"Andar aao sab..baittiye...Madam is feeding the child...please wait".

Viaan entered the house.The first thing he noticed was that the house did not have a soul.....Ghar mein Rooh nahi tha...

It screamed of distress and remorse.Viaan felt suffocated.There were no pictures on the wall, just blank...nothing which could comfort him..it did not look like a home where a family lived. He felt like an intruder...someone who came to unleash the secrets. ..the hidden ones.

He turned to go back..but then he heard the feeble sound of somebody's feet approaching the room which was separated through a curtain from the inner ones.

He gathered some courage..took a deep breath before facing the inevitable..and turned back to the person standing away from him

"Katha"....he called..